Monday, February 9, 2009


Crumbs and Crumbs. I was trying to fill a box to send to Bev and it wasn't quite full so I sewed the crumbs that I had into a quilt. Since it was late Sunday night, and not being able to go to the store I bordered it with a bright coral which doesn't show too well in the photo, but it looks great in person as the coral complements the purples and doesn't fight with the bright pinks that are in the crumbs.













Color is only one consideration. Some things work and some don't. These are donated fabrics and I thought because of the colors they'd work, but the type of print with the calico type print even though I'd "auditioned" it, just doesn't seem to work for me. This is a disappearing nine patch for donation to Sunshine Yahoo Group for Rotary.

All in all, I've completed six quilt tops this week for Sunshine and finished one more that was started. Some were stray blocks I put together and some were things that I just hadn't started for one reason or another. So, I've got a box of seven tops ready to go to Bev in Alaska for her to quilt for either Wrap Them in Love or Wrap A Smile--either way I'm not fussy where they go. I just want to give some of my quilting away! I'm still looking at my stash as if nothing has left! These quilts aren't my take lots of time quilts--they are born out of a need to quilt, yet sometimes I get caught up in producing things quickly and I'm hoping that that doesn't make the quilts seem less valuable. I remember when we used to just do sandwich quilts in the 80's--these were quilts with two pieces of fabric--one for the top and one for the bottom and then sandwiched with batting and tied. They serviced my growing family quite well.

One time, I remember when we took in a foster boy, we needed a quilt for his bed and our church had one in storage that I was able to access. I was so appreciative of that quilt that now, I'm just trying to quilt to "Play it Forward".

No comments: