Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Green Tomato Mincemeat

This morning I awoke and couldn't go back to sleep. I remembered making green tomato mincemeat while in my 20's. My FIL loved mincemeat and we had some green tomatoes, so I made some and canned it. I looked through my recipes, but I think in our many moves, I threw out my old canning book. Found this recipe online http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1627,159191-253198,00.html

I'm going to make some green tomato mincemeat and save it for Thanksgiving. By then I should be off the hcg low calorie diet and onto the phase 4 (maintaining) so I can enjoy an occasional piece of that pie! As I remember it was glorious--especially when I replaced the suet with equal weight of butter. (I must have some DNA similar to Julia Childs *grin*). I also used it in some soft sugar cookies with some of the mincemeat in them. Wish I had a picture to share. But go here for a picture of a pie made with it and another recipe:

http://joiedevivreanamateurgourmetsguide.blogspot.com/2009/01/green-tomato-mincemeat.html

....Now to pick some green tomatoes and buy all the ingredients!!!

No comments: