Friday, October 9, 2009

Comfort Wins!



Today is the first day of the Blogger's Quilt Festival--see button on the right of my blog and we were invited to share a quilt. This is my quilt that I wanted to share today. http://parkcitygirl.blogspot.com/


This is probably my favorite quilt. Many of the quilts I've done, I've given away and only remember because I've posted pictures. This one however, is one I made for my husband and finished in 2001. We both love it. Sometimes I'm the winner and get it before he does. The comfort of this quilt is just PERFECT! It is soft and cuddly and I don't know what the quilter used and I've long since lost contact with her. The back is a soft homespun type flannel and all in all it is just comfy.  It actually started as a BOM quilt at my local quilt store in about 1999 or 2000.  The interest in the challenge soon waned for many that started and dwindled into none existence.  It was from a Stitches Along the Oregon Trail or something like that.  I've since sold the pattern in a yard sale cause I grew tired of it.  Now that I'm more experienced in quilting I think I could have made it out okay.  I finished up the part that is the inside of this quilt and then added some blocks I had made for another quilt and then added the two together.  It used to fit my house decor more, in another house that we lived, but I don't care.  It hangs on the banister close to the couch in our "retirement" home here in northern UT.  I had lots of scraps from this, cause being good friends with the quilt shop owner and feeling obligated to purchase all the kits she made up--I did purchase more than my share as she had made some for everyone.  I have made a quilt for my son from some of this fabric and have another in the closet ready to quilt and have made a heartstrings quilt for donation from some of the scraps.  As with many scraps they seem to grow, because you purchase "just a bit" more from some coordinating fabric and soon you have enough for another quilt.  At least I do--maybe enough for another heartstrings--well as soon as I get the back and binding cut for that one hanging in my closet.







Another quilt that I just love and it's because of the weight and just the way it molds around you is one I purchased at Wal Mart in the 80's, BQ (before quilting). It is showing its wear and I haven't made one to replace it, so it gets folded and put atop our bed each cold morning. During the summer it rests in a closet, but it is far better than the quilts Wal Mart now sells. I keep looking for something that I want to replace it with and so far nothing has "spoken". I'm not really into making queen size quilts that much, so for now I have a quilt on my bed for comfort and a quilt on the banister next to the sofa for cuddle comfort.

17 comments:

Zonnah said...

I love comfy quilts. It is beautiful!

LindaSue said...

Love your quilts. Gal you just amaze me. I have to get my camera back from friend so I can post a picture of the new top I just completed. Strings of course. It is all your fault. Got me hooked bad. Got a couple of little bags I made also.
Stay warm. Wish I could come out there for a visit.

Vivian said...

Comfortable, huggable quilts are the best.

Laura said...

It looks so cozy!!

Katie B. said...

Beautiful quilts! Such talent.

Granny Lyn said...

oh, Pat, I just love that medalion quilt! thank goodness the LAQ didn't over-quilt it, that's what makes this one so comfy! the colors are awesome, too...thanks for sharing!

W. Latane Barton said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you win and get the quilt to wrap up in the most often. (grin)

ivoryspring said...

Your quilts are absolutely LOVELY! Thank you for visiting me. I am glad to make your acquaintance. Please visit again!

Rene' said...

Beautiful quilts. I love cozy quilts that you snuggle up in. Thanks for sharing.

Dee said...

We have comfy, cozy...winner takes all quilts here at home too. Yours look like they are well taken care of and may you have many nights of snuggling up under them!

stitchinpenny said...

The flannel backing probably feels good against your skin, but the yop is beautiful.

Sara said...

Really like your "retirement" home quilt! It looks comfy...

Mikol said...

Love both of these quilts. The first one makes me want to curl up next to the fire with some hot chocolate and a good book. The second one is beautiful, love the softer colors.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Love your comfy quilts. I'm trying to make my way through all the blogs for the quilting festival.

Katalin said...

Csodásak a színek! Gratulálok!

QuiltSue said...

I love the cuddley quilt.

Linda said...

Wow! I've found you....another person who makes lots of charity quilts. Love your entry, but loved your pictures of charity quilts more. I'll be following your blog.