Thursday, October 15, 2009

Green Tomato Mincemeat


The green tomatoes are fast turning red, because the garage is fairly warm.  Tuesday, I tried the recipe for green tomato mincemeat and it was great.  So this evening I made another batch and had just enough jars, so it all got canned.   In middle ages, real meat was used as a way to preserve the meat.  I love the smell, the taste, and I took some from Tuesday and put it on a cracker and it was like eating apple butter on a cracker.  There's something about the combination of spices, ground orange, and the apples.  The green tomatoes look just like apples.  As the mince ages it turns a bit darker.  Can't wait to make some mince pies for Thanksgiving.  I used rum to top off the bottles as the recipe called for.  It'll be interesting to taste it, as the part I ate from the leftovers didn't have the rum.  If we like it, I'll keep adding it and if we don't of course the recipe is still great without the rum!!! 
10//16/09  I've added the recipe below since the link isn't working.  With the changes I think I can call it my own...*grin*
GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT
1 dozen sm. green tomatoes, about 2 inches in diameter

1 1/2 tsp. salt

4 c. diced tart apples

1 lg. orange, seeded and finely chopped (including rind)

3/4 c. chopped beef suet  (I used 3/4 cup butter)

1 package (14 oz.) raisins

2 c. firmly packed brown sugar

Juice of 1 lg. lemon

1/4 c. cider vinegar

1/2 c. apple juice or water (I didn't add)

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 tsp. ground cloves

1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg

1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger root or 1 tsp. ground ginger

1 1/2 c. brandy or rum, approximately


Core the tomatoes and cut them into 1/4 inch dice. Sprinkle the salt over them, cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain the tomatoes in a colander ad rinse them well under the hot running water. Place the tomatoes in a large heavy pot, add the remaining ingredients except the brandy, and stir well to combine with a large heavy spoon.

Place the pot over medium heat and, stirring frequently, bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer slowly, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes, or until all liquid evaporates and the mixture is very thick. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in 1 cup of the brandy or rum. (I skipped this step and just added the rum to top off the mince.)
Ladle the mincemeat into sterilized 1-pint jars, leaving about 1/2 inch unfilled in each. Pour brandy or rum into each jar just to cover the mincemeat. Seal the jars.


Process the jars in a boiling-water bath (see below) for 15 minutes. Cool and label the jars and store in a cool, dark place. Before using the mincemeat, stir it well.


BOILING WATER BATH:
Place sealed jars at least an inch apart on rack in a large kettle. Pour water into the kettle to cover the jars by 2 inches and gradually bring the water to a boil. Boil pint jars for 15 minutes and quart jars for 20 minutes. Remove the jars immediately with tongs and allow to cool gradually in a warm place before labeling and storing. Makes 4 pints, enough for 4 (9-inch) pies.
(Since I don't have a canner I just washed the pan I used and added water and set the bottles in and the water came just to the top--since the mince was hot the water boiled really soon and I counted the time from the begin of the boil--it worked--the jars sealed.)  This step could be skipped if you just made the 3 pints and stored it in the fridge.

3 comments:

QuiltSue said...

I keep sniffing the air really hard, but I just can't seem to smell it here in the UK. What a shame cos it sounds gorgeous.

Pat said...

Okay, Sue for you I've added the recipe! Thanks for the comment.

QuiltSue said...

Thanks very much.