Saturday, November 14, 2009

Something very satisfying about scrappy patchwork




This quilt top started as a swap called Waste Not Want Not on Quilted with Love, yahoo group.  After one swap, I decided to save the postage and just use my own scraps.  There are some bright purple pieces in there I wouldn't have had, so that makes it fun.  I need to find something in my stash to border it with.  It'll be another big one--do I try tying it???  or wait for the quilter????  I'll think about it.  I could possibly do stitch in the ditch and that could give it enough quilting....

4 comments:

LindaSue said...

Patti, I love this. The eye plays tricks doesn't it. Had to look to see the square's and stuff. I think I will have to try this out. It looks so good. Thanks

Pat said...

I forgot that the pattern is no longer on the web. It was a freebie--but it can be done with 4--2 1/2 inch squares and a 5 inch square cut to make 4 1/2 inch HST. Using the darks and the lights in the correct form, makes the pattern. The single block is 8 1/2 Inches. I sew 4 together and then make the quilt using 3 across and 4 down of the larger squares. I tried not to use the same fabric twice, in the square, but that didn't always work that way--but close.

Pat said...

http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BuckeyeBeautyBlock_Page2.html is another version using larger HST and larger squares. I've used both sizes and like them both. Just depends on which "look" you want and what your stash is like. I save all sizes of squares when I'm cutting something and then start putting them together when I have enough.

QuiltSue said...

That's a lovely quilt.