Thursday, December 24, 2009

Another Quilting Start Completed


I actually started this awhile ago, but ran out of thread.  So after buying some matching thread, I was able to complete the quilting.  I tried using a walking foot to make the curved lines in the crumb block area and I don't really like the way it turned out, but it's not bad enough for me to pick it out.  I then tried a different thread and then used my free motion, follow the print of the daisy to quilt the yellow strips.  I think I'll bind it in red if I have enough.  I did a double batting on this as it didn't at first seem heavy enough.  Now it is a bit heavy, but when it's washed, I think it will be okay.  It is from the September crumb making phase I went through....

When choosing a back and thread to quilt with, I find I have to stay closer to a thread that doesn't show the quilting as much, because I'm not a perfect quilter and I don't own a long arm.  The red I used to match the back, really was too strong, but I went with it anyway.  The verigated yellow orange used for the flowers, went with the orange, red stripe on the back and didn't interfere with the fabric. 

Quilting is a process of learning!!!

4 comments:

fabricpixie said...

I love to work on crumb blocks too but never thought of making a quilt in rows like this one you made....what a great idea!

thanks for sharing

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Pat said...

Thanks for stopping by. Yep! It's the best of two things--using up crumbs and extending them by using stash! They work up fairly fast which is a plus for donation quilts.

Steel Scraps said...

I love your idea of rows. Gives a nice ordered look to crumb blocks. The quilt looks so cheerful. Pat L in NY

Helen in the UK said...

Great idea for using up those crumbs. Wishing you a happy, healthy & quilty new year :)