Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!



Merry Christmas.  As I sit here quietly contemplating, I remember the excitement and chaotic nature of Christmas mornings past.  The children have all moved out and three of them have families of their own.  Our youngest, too, although single I guess has his family of one.  So things here as usual are quiet just before dawn. 

This year, my husband and I decided to exchange presents.  We haven't done that for quite a few years.  But we visited a hobby store and purchaced some remote controlled cars.  We have a full unfinished basement and we also have a flat street in front of our house and a huge parking lot not too far from our house where the high school resides that we can race our cars.  They are waterproof, so we can take them outside, even in the snow. 

We are fortunate.  We have plenty.  Our bellies are rarely empty and our clothes closets though not cramed full have ample clothing for every season of the year.  At this time of year, I wonder about the homeless, the less forntunate, the hungry the cold, the lonely, those whose homes have been ravaged by war, those who have lost loved ones, those who are angry at their lot in life, those whose families are divided by religion, war or any number of things that divided families; I feel blessed beyond measure.  I wonder at the inconsistencies of life and although I have wondered much in the past at why they seem to be, for now I have answers that for me make sense.  I am grateful for the road that has taken me to those answers.  I found answers to many of those questions in the book Human Reality, Who We Are and Why We Exist and I am simply awed by the answers to my previous questions.  I have found a sense of peace that I've not known many of the Christmas days of my past.  I take a calm deep breath and know that life is good/bad/ugly or whatever and it really is all okay.  It's as it has to be for now.  Each can choose to do unto his neighbor as he would want done unto him and more peace will fill the planet.  Will it happen?  I have my doubts.  As in the movie Avatar, we are like the preditors taking over Pandora.  We have many who are fighting and killing our earth and our people. 

We seem asleep to the reaction that all this is causing.  We could easily go into Afganistan and set up some sort of system that would allow those poor and hungry to receive the food and clothing that they so desperatly need for what we spend on war going over there, but no the "hawks" of this world want and have found excuses for war.  I groan--but I know--it's okay.  It will come to some sort of end someday.  I just wonder at what comes between now and that someday to bring us all to the realization that love is the answer~~not war.

My wish is that all can find peace in their hearts.  That is the beginning and at the beginning soon of a new year, that is my deepest wish for mankind.

2 comments:

LindaSue said...

Wanting to wish you a Merry Christmas. Thank you for the card and the thinking of us.

I have been offline for over a week now. Did you hear of all the rain in SE Ala. Well we got our share. About 6 inches in our house. Thanks to a whole bunch of neighbors they helped us get most of the stuff out. Some great folks down the street opened their home to us and that is where we are staying right now. They will help us move the house up to higher ground here on their property in the next week. Then the cleaning starts and trying to get things put back together. Right now most of my stuff is in an open garage. So some throwing away and cleaning will be in order. They have been so good to us. She is letting me cook all I want and use the her washer and dryer and just making myself at home.

We had the best xmas yesterday that we have had in over 20 years. Even though right now we are homeless I am ok. They have 3 boys that are great and all is well here.

Will let you know how things progress. You are in my thoughts. Stay warm and safe.

Will write more later. Take care Hugs Linda

Pat said...

Linda, how disheartening to have to deal with more water! It is fortunate that you have some caring people around you. Please keep us posted on your journey through this.