Saturday, March 20, 2010

Waste Not Want Not or as hubby calls it--Heinz 57

I think there is a scrap from nearly every quilt I've done in the last two years in this quilt.  It started out as a swap and then I decided swapping wasn't worth the postage $, so I just started using up scraps of my own--I certainly had plenty.  I love the look of a scrappy quilt and this one is one I'll certainly do again.  Can do the squares as leader--enders Bonnie Hunter style!  The backing is a heavy flannel and it presented a string of adjustments, but I finally figured out something that worked and I found I really like using: Signature Spun Polyester Size 30 Thread, with a size 16 needle.  The one I used for this one is "Sandy Hues" in a light tan verigated tone.  It's a bit pricey and I'm certainly going to build my stash of this when JoAnn's has a sale as I love the way it looks when quilted on my home sewing machine.  It gives a better defintion to the quilting.  'Nuff said.  Anyhow this is a bit larger than any I've done on my machine--54" x 72".  A good size donation quilt for the Family Connections Center.  This one is UFO # 20 and the Laurel Burch is UFO #21...Whaaaa HOOOO!

3 comments:

QuiltSue said...

That's a lovely quilt, someone will be very lucky to get that.

Helen in the UK said...

This is GORGEOUS!! Was it a specific pattern or just a make a number of blocks and play on the design wall?!? I LOVE SCRAPPPY and this is brilliant example :)

Mary said...

It's beautiful! I'm planning a scrappy quilt soon that will be 16 patches and half square triangles that might be a little similar looking although it's not the same pattern.