Monday, June 14, 2010

Tutorial for Swirl Quilt

Swirl Quilt from Sunshine Yahoo Quilt Group:
Adjusted Directions made by myself from cutting instructions found on that site.
These directions vary from the original and I've added directions that I've plotted out.  I do hope that they will be useful.  The completed quilt is an excellent donation baby quilt.  Finished size is apprx. 40 x 45 which makes it easy to fit to a width of fabric for the back and carefully onto a 45 inch batting piece.
ENJOY !
Cutting Directions
16   2.5 x 6.5
1  2.5 x 14.5
1  2.5 x 18.5
3  2.5 x 8.5
1  2.5 x 22.5
-----------
1  6.5 x 4.5
2  6.5 x 8.5
1  4.5 x 8.5
1  4.5 x 10.5
-------
2 WOF 4.5
2 WOF 5.5
-----
Binding strips
5  2.5
-----
total fabric for top approx. 1.5 yards
17 6.5 crumb or string or focus fabric blocks


 Turquoise Swirl made in 2009

Sorry about the upside down picture, I couldn't remove the wording, so I just rotated the picture to match the others.  *grin*

Go on over to http://helenquilts.blogspot.com/2010/07/swirling.html for how she used focus fabrics!  It's a way fun way to use this pattern!  Thanks Helen!

6 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

What an unusual and brilliant quilt!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to write out a tutorial with all those photos. I think it would work great with I Spy fabric squares too and is the perfect donation size. I'm going to print out the directions and have a go at this one ... as soon as I clear my current projects away. Thanks again :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this tutorial.

P. said...

That is really cool! I can see this with a log cabin type block too. Thanks for the tutorial.

Michelle said...

That is a really fun idea!

Mary R. said...

I am just beginning to use scraps. I think this will make wonderful gifts. Thanks sew much for a great idea.

Mary Richardson said...

Thank you for sharing this pattern. I have just started using scraps and this will be a great baby pattern Thanks sew much.