Wednesday, August 18, 2010

APPLES! What do you do with them???

 A recent gift of donated fabric to be used for Wrap Them in Love came with a large piece of apple fabric. 

Not quite knowing what to do with it, I cut a back for another quilt, but that didn't work too well.  So, I proceded to sew some a-b-c squares together in an I-Spy Quilt and decided the apple fabric would work for borders and now I have an apple fabric backing.

Then, with still ample fabric, and being in the process of cutting--I cut some fabrics for Bricks and Stones ala Bonnie Hunter pattern.

All this while still trying to figure out what to do with Granddaughter's Quilt.  Some extra fabric came yesterday, so now I have enough and need to figure how to use it.  Since it is no longer available, I have to use what I have in creative ways.   The operative word is "creative,"  so I'm still avoiding it!!





This is the braid I'm working on.  Thinking I'll use three of these and then break them up with the beige at the left of the picture and then use the blue floral for a border on the outside if there is enough.
Cutting fabrics yesterday to give me a start on some projects in two very informative books, Scrap-Basket Surpises and Strip Tubing.  Cutting of fabrics is stressful on my knee and will take some time each day to build up the strips needed for some quilts.

3 comments:

Cheri said...

I love that Scrap-Basket Surprises book. And I will have to check out the Strip Tubing one. I like how you've used your apples so far.

QuiltSue said...

I too love the Scrap Baskets Surprises book. I've made several of her patterns as tablerunners, and my Christmas Quiltalong efforts last weekend was also a pattern from the book.

Carol E. said...

Funny.. someone in my guild gave me a box FULL of long yardage of apple fabrics. All apple fabrics.. red apples, green apples, blue background, red background, you name it. I've been using it for backings. I can hardly wait 'til it's all used up, but it'll be a while. Want some??? hahaha