Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Little Quilt Dinosaur Style






















Ever had one of those days when you just don't want to put on make-up or fix dinner or go anywhere?   I had one of those days Sunday and I didn't want to work on anything I'd started, so I went through some scraps and made this small quilt for my neighbor who is having a baby boy.  I machine sewed the binding so that it'll be sturdy.  It's pretty bright!  The smaller squares work up fast!  It was a fun diversion. 

Yesterday, I machine sewed bindings on two quilts and finished a flimsy top from some other UFO's, but the bindings will wait until I have surgery so that I'll have something to do with my hands while recouping.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

I like this. I'm looking for some patterns to use big strips of fabric to get my stash in better control. This would work! Thanks for putting ideas in my head!

Pattilou said...

Thanks! I've used similar renditions of this before and they always turn out quite cute I think. I used to save dryer sheets and I'd cut them to 6 inches and then trim to 5.5 inches. I don't save them anymore as some don't think they're too good for using, but I still have some left. There's a little more cutting waste on these when trimming, and that's why I like a 7 inch cut to 6.5 inches a bit better, but I'm in the use it up mode right now and tso I'm using what I've saved and that works, for now. I also did some more diagonal strings which are 6.5 by 9.5 inches finished. They look spectacular when in a quilt, but there's also more cutting waste on those, so when these are done, that's it. I like the 9.5 inch finished and the 6.5 inch finished best. When cutting, I used to save everything and try to use it, but if it's not at least 1.5 inches square, I throw it out. I can only deal with so much and then my mind goes into overdrive and I go nuts!



Thanks for the encouragement. I was getting frustrated with blogger and was ready to quit, but it seems to be working fine again....go figure!

Pat