Friday, August 6, 2010

On Christmas Fabric, Cows and Quilting Designs

(Black and Maroon quilted only.)  Cow quilt, bound, washed and ready.

Recently I received a box of fabric to use in quilts to be sent back to WTIL (Wrap Them in Love).  I went through the fabric and found some that I could use right away as I had some quilt tops in blue/yellow that could use a piece for the backing.

Others within that box was cow fabric--catchy--but to me a bit boring.  ...And a maroon fabric labeled on the side, "Christmas".  Now the challenge to me was how to make that Christmas fabric of use the year 'round to someone on the receiving end.  Since I didn't just "love" these fabrics, I chose to make them into quilts with the least amount of time for me--thus using the strippy pattern that I've used recently on other quilts. 

Then for the quilting pattern--what to choose.  I spent some time on the solids within the "cow" quilt marking a pattern and trying to follow that.  That seemed to go okay, and after washing, it did appear much better.  But, I was reminded of my grandson's reaction to his quilt, a quick okay and then on to see his cousins.  Now, he will probably be warmed by that quilt, when it finally gets put on his bed, but my guess is that his 6 year old eyes won't even see the quilting that I paid for.  

As quilters, do we get our ego involved in our work and let that stand between what we do versus what we could be doing?   I've wondered many times.    For example, when I take my quilts locally to the Family Connections Center, the one lady that receives them most of the time, oohs and ahhhs over each quilt and its uniqueness.  Not once, when I take them in does she go over the quilting with quilter's police "eye."  She looks them as a child would.  That's what counts to me.  As I continue to rid myself of my stash, trying to make warm quilts that look good, yet not getting caught up in the mechanics of it all, I must remember that short, "okay" from my grandson and put things in proper perspective.  A hungry, cold child, teen or mother, isn't going to look at the quilting and say, "This wasn't done on a long arm--I don't want it."

3 comments:

QuiltSue said...

I think you're right, sometimes we obsess too much about things like how to quilt a top and making it perfect, when the recipient isn't a member of the quilt police, or isn't a quilter themselves and so won't even know if it's not perfect. I know I need to learn to relax a bit about that side of things.

Helen in the UK said...

You're so right - we are usually our own worst critics!! I worried when I ran out of quilting thread yesterday and couldn't get an exact match. But you know I'm probably the only one who will notice (or care!) that half the quilt is done with a different thread :)

marilyn said...

My goal with charity quilts is to get as many done as I can. I use them to practice my quilting skills and know that the person on the receiving end will be happy to have a warm quilt to wrap up in. Most of the quilts go to people I will never meet, but the few that I have seen get received have loved having the quilt and the thought behind me making it for them. Nobody has ever said, wow, you really messed up this quilting here! At least not in front of me :) The fabric isn't doing anyone any good sitting on my shelf so get to work and make another quilt :) Someone will love it!