Sunday, September 12, 2010

FINALLY!

Top of Granddaughter's Quilt top
Whole Queen Sized Top Ready for Quilter
This top started with a few charm packs that my oldest granddaughter picked for a quilt.  With no particular pattern in mind I was promptly presented the challenge of trying to find enough fabric for a queen sized bed which she was soon to be inheriting from her parents.  Well...the fabric line was nearly impossible to find.  I had some 1 1/2 inch rolls of precut fabric which I used for the piano keys border, and I found another line that matched but it was not a print.  The blue in the small borders was a bit too bright, so I just used it as the corner borders.  I found some precut triangles--turnovers they are called, but I could only get 3 packages, so not enough to make the pinwheels of the same fabric.  However, that being said although it's a bit busy and fussy for my tastes, I think she'll love it.  It is floral, feminine and I was able to buy enough of the blue to sort of "cement" all the florals with that.  I've got a piece for the backing and I'll take some of the leftovers and part of the braid as a lenghthening strip for that as when I ordered it, I forgot to get enough for the leader for the quilter.  I'm going today to find a batting and hopefully it can get quilted this week, if not, I'll not be able to used the foot pedal for awhile to add the binding.

This project has been one of love.  I've gotten into the "crunch" time of this and have been so sick with deep chest congestion that I didn't think I'd get it done.  I'm still not sure if I can keep my original date for my knee surgery as I'm still coughing a bit.  To see the doctor Tuesday and then I'll know for sure!



7 comments:

Claire said...

It is lovely! I think that overcoming "not enough fabric" often creates the best final products!
Claire

Helen in the UK said...

Yeah - the top in done!! Congrats on your creativity of getting this done despite the 'challenges'. Hope you make your surgery date and all goes well :)

Carol E. said...

It's beautiful! What a treasure! Hope you are on the mend soon.

Cheri said...

This is a snuggler! Just makes me wanna wrap up in it and take a snooze with a favorite book...3 pages and I'm asleep! Very pretty.

QuiltSue said...

As you say, it is fery soft and feminine. What sort of quilting are you thinking of having on it?

Hope you're recovering fast and you don't have to reschedule your knee op.

Tamera said...

How beautiful! What a lovely, romantic quilt.

Nora said...

It's gorgeous! Isn't it amazing what I crafter can do when she's in a bind? *LOL* I'm sure your granddaughter will LOVE it!!
♥hugs♥