Saturday, November 13, 2010

Christmas Quilt-a-long in November!

It's been a month since the last quilt-a-long and I had some churn dash blocks I wanted to make into a table topper.  Long story short--just didn't get to it last month--due to the recent knee replacement!  refreshing your memory

I had purchased some yellow, red, green and black and was thinking of doing a curling ribbon border or an entwined border from see here

I was recently leafing through this new magazine

and found this idea

problem was my blocks were 12.5 inches, so that would require some adjustment of the pattern.  I fiddled around and did some rough math and adjusted my churn dash blocks into this:

TA DAH!!!

So now it is officially a flimsie and I've been up in the middle of the night, and need to get some sleep, so that when I go get Dear Granddaughter we can make some sleep pants for her friends!   However, I've already had two cups of coffee and maybe I'll sleep and maybe not--but I'm so excited to have my teacup fabric used up--I have two blocks left and will make them into a couple of placemats.  For me this is using up the fabric that I purchased on a girl-quilting buying tour about 5 years ago!!!  Now for the quilting, but for me, the really hard part is DONE!!  There's one block that could use rotation--but in real life it doesn't look too bad--maybe I will and maybe I won't.  LOL

8 comments:

QuiltSue said...

I love what you've done with those blocks. Love the colours too.

Joanna said...

I love the churn dash block, and I like the way you incorporated it into the design from the magazine. Have fun with your granddaughter.

Trudi said...

That flimsie is looking lovely! Great job!

siv hege said...

Well done, this looks great! I love those blocks!!!

Shakerwood said...

It turned out wonderfully! Hope you and granddaughter had a good time today and you are finally getting some sleep!

Tamera said...

How wonderful! It's great when you understand the basics about grafting, isn't it?

Zany Quilter said...

That turned out very nice...Congrats on getting something done!!!

Helen in the UK said...

LOVE what you did with your blocks!! Love the basket version in the mag too ... might have to see if I can get a copy locally :)