Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Quilting Marathon

First Quilt completed for my quilting marathon was a UFO--#5 to be exact. (whoops--just noticed in my notebook that it is REALLY #6, so much the better)!  It is an ABC quilt.  I found some pink ABC fabric on sale last week and bought it to go with the squares that I had planned to use another way.  Since the ABC squares were already cut, I just cut the pink to place between.  I backed it in pink flannel and bound it with pink from a recent Connecting Threads purchase.

I happened to win the December Lotto at Sunshine Quilting Group and put these blocks together.  I added some black with red flowers at the bottom, and now I can see that I should have carried it straight across.  But, I thought the blue border with correct it--and it didn't totally, but it is done and ready to take to Family Connections Center.

The main blocks for this quilt were hand pieced and donated to Sunshine Lotto.  I made up the balancing blocks of some pinwheels I had cut for another quilt and they just happened to fit quite nicely.  I had the green 3.5 inch squares cut and I added them to some cream colored squares and added length.  The backing is a dark green flannel and the binding is the same cream as in some of the other blocks.  It is going to Family Connections Center.


That is 3 of 5 quilts I challenged myself to make in the next two weeks.  Tomorrow I'll go pick up my sister, who has been staying with Mom, and then she'll be with me for a few days before she returns home.  Next week I'll start on another quilt for my marathon.   ...maybe a UFO???!!!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Yippee - those are great !!!! And two of those Sunshine Lotto blocks are MINE!!!
Kathleen from Sunshine Guild

Pat said...

The green and tan lotto quilt is gorgeous - some very pretty blocks in that one and the pinwheels were the perfect addition! Actually, they are all wonderful - I especially love the idea of the alphabet quilt - need to start collecting picture fabrics!

Cheri said...

I believe number 6 was the number for January on Judy's draw a number, do that UFO so you are right on! Your quilt also gave me an idea to quickly use up some mixed charms I have cut. Thanks.