Friday, February 25, 2011

Dyeing is SO MUCH FUN!

There was a box of dyes lurking in my sewing room.  Actually when I opened it, the receipt from Dharma Trading Co. showed a date of May of 2009!  I've been meaning to try dyeing since then!  I signed up for a class from Marjie McWilliams on http://www.quiltuniversity.com/     As it turned out I couldn't do the classes as outlined, but I downloaded the instructions and yesterday I did Lesson 1 in Cotton Dyeing Basics.

This is red:

yellow:

Note: the second run is always lighter than the first run as the dye goes to the first piece in more concentration.

blue:


Just for fun, I put some fabric into the blue 2nd run then added yellow to it.  This is what came from that experiment:

I may try to add more green at another dyeing session.  But, right now, it would make a cool sky!

This fabric was from a purchase and was ordered online.  The color was a bit too mellow.  Added it to the red that was left.

 And then just for fun, I tried a piece of pink I'd purchased online but wasn't crazy about.
Now I love it!!! ...several processes later!

I've played with Rit dyes for my clothes.  Now with some instructions and Prion dyes, I can play and record the recipes!  Next time, I'll cut a sample of purchased fabrics for the before and after.  Will also buy a notebook to keep track of what I've done!

2 comments:

QuiltSue said...

Looks like you had fun. I'm actually going to a workshop next week on dyeing fabric, and am really looking forward to it.

Deborah said...

I will be following you progress with real interest ... my daughter Lucy and I love using a recycled spray bottle to apply dyes .. that gives some really varied effects depending on how wet the fabric is. I am always looking for other ways as well.