Friday, June 17, 2011

Paper Piecing at Last--or Biting the Bullet!

I've tried paper piecing several times.  I've always been discouraged.  I couldn't seem to see how to place the fabric for the piecing which was backwards.  I think I'm a bit dyslexic and paper piecing seemed to aggravate that situation.  I took a class two or three years ago on New York Beauty blocks and made a couple of blocks at the class.  I came home and put them in a baggie and put them away.  

I've constantly come across that baggie.  This summer I even printed how to do pineapple blocks and thought that would be a way to use my precut pieces.

Well, yesterday, I decided when I came across the baggie, AGAIN, to just bite the bullet and give it another try.  I have enough for nine blocks, after giving one I'd done to a gal in Germany for a birthday block as she love NYB blocks.  I used the other in a mug rug trying to close that chapter in my quilt making.  But, after looking at all the precut pieces, I just hunkered down and started sewing.  At first it was more like "RIPPIT".  Finally, though, I began to see how to place the squares and make them into the spikes.


If I were chosing fabrics today, I'd pick much bolder colors.  I may still make one that looks more like rays of sunshine and really bright colors.  But, I'll make this into a wall hanging and get the burr out of my saddle--so to speak!

3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I paper piece a lot - but this post reminds me I have one of those baggies with NYB blocks somewheres and should really use them now.

QuiltSue said...

It looks to me like you've really got the hang of paper piecing. I have done it before and enjoy it. I always have to stop and think for the first couple of pieces, then I "get" it again.

Helen in the UK said...

I'm not a big fan of paper-piecing either! Keep plugging away though and you'll soon have it done :)