Tuesday, July 26, 2011

One Thing Leads to Another...

Yesterday I started going through my stash to see if I had any spare blocks for Christina
I don't usually keep too many around.  I send them off to the Sunshine block lotto that is held each month or I make donation quilts out of them, but I did have an assortment of things I thought I could make into a 12.5 inch block or two for her. 

I found some 6.5 inch blocks I could sew into a bigger block.  I decided to keep the others for a donation quilt.

I found a 9.5 inch block that I added a border to from the backing of a quilt finished last week:


Then I found some green blocks I connected with some of that stripe:

 
And as usually happens an idea was born:

So now I have some pieces blocked into a beginning of yet another quilt.  The green breaks up the brown/gold in quite a nice way.  So I'll work on this to make it into a 40 x 60 quilt for donation.

Then I found this piece of African fabric and some triangles of batiks that were from Bev in Alaska's stash and came up with the beginning of yet another top:


I woke up cogitating (my new word for the week) about doing something with letters and making it a liberated quilt--maybe something like: "DANCE LIKE THERE IS NO ONE WATCHING"  I had only a small piece of the African fabric and so with the new triangles there was enough to go around.  It uses up some fabric I had no idea where I'd use it and now it's nearly sewn into a block unit for a new quilt.

Today, I'm going to take the day off sewing.  The state celebration is over and the crowds have dispersed and we can find someplace in the mountains--or maybe even take in a quilt show.  If I make it there, I'll take pictures.

...til tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Hi dear - love seeing how these pieces come together, and all with a good goal when completed... I, too, still reach into Bev's fabrics and find great stuff... amazing how far a little bit of fabric goes! Kathleen

Carol E. said...

I tried leaving a comment for Christina, and blogger is up to its old tricks. Can you ask her if it's ok for you to give me her address? I'm going to get busy making some blocks for her.