Friday, August 12, 2011

The Elements of a Quilt are Starting to Come Together

If you read my blog even a little bit, you may know that I have a hard time working out quilts on EQ or even on graph paper.  My best work comes from "incubating" an idea.  I put something on my design wall--it even used to be just putting it atop a spare bed.  I had this piece of fabric and I started by buying some fabrics I thought might go with it and then I found a whole bolt of fabric I already had with those colors in it.  This is what I have so far

This is what I started with

You may recognize the strip at the right that I just finished into a top

Anyhow, long story short, sometimes it takes awhile for the process to develop in my mind.  I've had those lavender batik HST's since last summer when I got some pieces from Bev in Alaska's stash.  I didn't know what to do with them until just a few weeks ago.  The block at the bottom of my design wall is also from her stash and I want to work it into the quilt.  But for today, I have an appointment in the city and when I return we'll have lunch and then plan on going to the movie, "The Help".  So the idea will still incubate a bit.  But, I am anxious to finish the letters.  I'm really having fun with those.  This fabulous book has helped me in seeing how to make the letters.  Thank you, Toni.  I bought mine through Amazon.


4 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

fun! I see some letters!

LindaSue said...

Patti I love it. I am sorta the same way. I started thinking I needed to work with pattern and soon found I didn't work well that way. I might see a pattern that I like and may use that as sort of an inspiration. I like better to study and think on what I want to do before I do it. Sort of like seeing a picture in my head. I have to study on the material for awhile and let it speak to me. Several years ago my little sister in Chicago bought and sent some material to me for a quilt. I studied on that material for over a year. Took it out and looked at it. Layed it out and looked at it. Pulled out my quilting books and magazines and looked thru pattern after patterns. It was an odd number of pieces, 9 I think. So it didn't fit into a "pattern" so to speak. Then the inspiration hit. I took the material and cut it into strips, all the same width. Lay-ed them out into a row. Started sewing them together till I got the width I wanted. Picked up the next strip and did the same again. Continued to the end of the rows of strips and continued on with the first strip. So what started as the first strip may be the thrid or fourth strip in another block. So the blocks ended up different, but with all the same material. Then used white on white for the alternating squares. If you look at my blog I show it. It is the pastel one father down on the blog. I think it turned out to look really good. She loves it and says she uses it all the time. I used the loo % cotton batting we all love and tied it cause I can't machine quilt.

That is what I am doing now. It is a pattern from Moda Bake Shop, but I am going to add my own twist. Will post later. Love ya.

LindaSue said...

Oh yea, I forgot. Had to laugh about you "finding a whole bolt of fabric". How does anyone, especially as organized and proficient as you are just 'find" a whole bolt of fabric? I love it. Only a true quilter could say that with all honesty. Only another quilter could understand it. Only another quilter could share in that. It is an eye opening statement that is really beautiful.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Great bolts of fabric! I love how you think woman...you're incubating some fun...and some really cute quilts to boot! I think your quilts are as colorful as you are :)