Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Jigsaw Puzzle Kind of Day!

Yesterday started out rather nondescript.  Started working on my creative piece and just ran into a wall, so when sorting through fabrics I came upon some that would work with some leaders and enders I was working on.
 So, I just started making those.  Ended up shopping with hubby trying to find a place to redo a screen that had been damaged Sunday evening during a huge thunderstorm when the umbrella blew into the window--how lucky are we that the window wasn't broken--and why didn't either of us think of putting the umbrella down when the storm was rolling in--just chalk it up to one of life's many unanswered questions.

Anyhow the evolving day lead to hubby bringing in some veggies from the garden
(this photo was taken this morning after the blue bucket was nearly emptied last night.)  With an abundance of cucumbers, I went to my trusty 46 old recipe book
 (note the cuttings from earlier in the day that are still on the kitchen island--don't worry I didn't get any in the pickles--LOL!!! )  Sooo--oo I just found a recipe for pickles and thought I'd try some.  It's been years since I did anything like that.  I found a recipe and thought maybe since I didn't have mustard seeds that I could use powdered mustard--so at 6 p.m. I forced ahead.  

I got this from the pickings from the garden yesterday.  Some slicers are not good for pickles and some I used were actually a bit too big--but oh, well.  I have some bread and butter pickles that we can put in a tuna sandwich now and again.
If I ever use that recipe again, I'll rinse the salt off from the cukes rather than just drain, and use half the amount of sugar called for--already cut the sugar.  Things have changed over the years.  If nothing else I can chop these up in the blender a bit and have relish.  But they are an experiment and one bucket of produce from the garden is nearly gone and today I can make some salsa from the tomatoes and chilies.

5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I love that cook book! I inhereted my grams and now have passed it on to my daughter.

Kathy T. said...

I was drawn in by looking at the evolving quilt on the wall, but suddenly distracted by those fresh veggies! What a bounty ... I can just about taste that great sandwich with the bread and butter pickles. Yum!

Kate said...

Did you notice that's the Better Homes and Garden NEW Cookbook!!!

Ha - everything is relative, isn't it???

LindaSue said...

Those look so good. Have you ever had fig preserves? I have a little fig man here not too far from where we live. Got some last year for my first try. Bought 4 gallons this year. Half were brown figs and half were black mission figs. If you save me a jar of those pickles I will bring you some black mission and brown fig preserves when I come at xmas. Deal?

LindaSue said...

Hey gal, it is me again. I just linked to 15 minutes play from your blog. What fun she has. I guess I better get busy. Just have to get my camera ready and get better at the pics. This way I can get some stuff posted to my blog. Am working on a quilt that I got the idea from Moda Bake Shop. If I figure right I will need about 720 5 inch block sets. Got 96 done. Will need 1876 more 5 inch squares. Have 620 or so cut out. Got a lot more cutting to do. Right now I am taking the leftover ends and sewing them into 5 inch squares. I took your advice and am trying to cut the leftover into strips as I go. Makes them more usable faster. Sure wish I could figure out how to take the odd and ends and make those kind of mosaic blocks you do, kinda like crazy quilting. Wish I could take a crazy quilt class. That would help. Later