Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Wow, I've been so busy with a non quilting project, I almost missed it.  I love Amy's quilt festivals.  Go here   or see the button at the right of the blog for a quick link.  It's a chance to see so many other quilts!

I've decided to add my quilt called Dream Catcher.  I started this quilt last winter when I had many scraps within the same color family.   I found the pattern, "Dream Catcher," in McCall's Quilting, Sep/Oct 2010 issue and a pattern designed by Marcie Patch.  I thought the pattern would lend itself to my scraps and it did. I wanted to try my hand at the small 1.5 inch HST's within the blocks.  It was a challenge, and I loved it.  I challenged myself to make a block a day last December and I finished the blocks in January.  Finally, I got enough nerve to finish the setting.  The quilt has successfully used up the biggest portion of these fabrics.  In fact, I needed to buy some binding so that I could add some red to the quilt. I worked at adding as much red and teal to the monochromatic bronze tones of the fabric pieces I had.

This quilt has been used in my bedroom, folded neatly each day at the foot of the bed and in the cooler months we lay it over the top of our bed for added warmth.  This line was collected by me when I started with making a table runner for my mother a couple of years ago. The price of the fabric in the LQS was $9.  It was a "Laurel" Series by Moda and it ran out quickly.  I had some scraps left and eventually the line ended up online and it was at a good price, but I OVER-bought!!!  (I'm still learning on that one, but getting so-o-o-o much better!)

These close-ups show the quilting (by Judy, my quilter) and the smaller blocks within the quilt.


So there you have it, a self challenge, a finish and stash used up.  I'm loving that I have a quilt that for me is bigger than I usually make and one that used up so much stash!

15 comments:

Lonci said...

I love the colours, lovely quilt:II

Kate said...

Very pretty quilt. Great stategy too on using up all the left overs.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just love that paisley! Very pretty pattern and sweetly quilted. Thank you for sharing.

LindaSue said...

Love that quilt. You are so good. Going to check your reccomend. Later, it is cold here this am.

LindaSue said...

Sometimes I feel so stupid and frustrated. Can't figure out how to link to or post the link on my blog. I forgot how again. This is just getting to be such a pain. I quit for now. Later

Jane said...

Great job on all those little pieces and I love the paisley! Knowing how much fabric to buy is hard, but its all good!

Hilachas said...

Oh wow. Your quilt came out beautifully. I love the colors you chose.

maria said...

Your piecing looks so neat. It's great that you are enjoying using your quilt.

Michele Bilyeu said...

I'm someone who loves warm, earthy colors. I could curl under this in a heartbeat. It's just lovely!

Rona said...

What an interesting quilt! At first, I didn't realise that all the blocks were the same pattern. Isn't it amazing how different they can look. I love Paisley too!

LynCC said...

Very, very beautiful. To think it came from scraps!

BunkHouseQuilts said...

This is awesome, awesome! I love the pattern and the colors. It certainly looks like a fall day in the Utah Mtns. Love that little pop of teal!

Doniene said...

I love this quilt!!! Lovely colors! It is so fun to go to a quilt festival and never leave home!!

Blessings

Mona said...

I am not a fan of brown, but this quilt is just beautiful!

Greetings from Mona in Norway

Eileen said...

What a lovely quilt. Nice color choices and pretty quilting. Thanks for sharing and have a great day