Sunday, November 6, 2011

Butterscotch Anyone?

When DH walked by this as I was photographing it, he called it Butterscotch.  I had some squares in a scrap bag I bought and I decided to simply put the squares together with four patches.  The caramel colored plain ones are a pin-whale corduroy.  I quite like the feel of it in a quilt.  The borders were some fabrics I had from some I bought for a mystery quilt that I never quite got into.
This one is quilted and waiting for a binding.


Next quilt is one I started working on and really didn't like the outcome, so I made enough blocks to make 36" square and stopped.  I still have some strips cut and I may make more, or I just may use the strips in string blocks, which I seem to never tire of.  Anyhow, I've got the borders cut for this--and maybe this one could be butterscotch...
 
 The pattern for the 12.5 inch block is found here


This next quilt is one I got an idea from when we went to an art show this summer and I saw a Native American rug.  I thought maybe I could collect various shades of tans and then add the square of turquoise.  I then found a set of off white "meringue" batik strips and simply started sewing them together.  





I got distracted and bored with that, and just wondered if it would work.  The sewing wasn't too inspiring.  But, I kept going and then the other night I tried pinning the back to some polyester batting.  I wasn't sure if it would work.  The batting was really thin so I used two layers.  Now with the depth of the quilt, I quite like it.  This backing piece is some fabric I just hated cutting up and I thought maybe I would cut a backing from it and when I saw it with the top, I knew I had a great fit!  I'll get another photo and show it in the right direction when I get it bound.  But, I'm just so excited with this quit, that I don't think it will go anywhere!  The picture just doesn't do justice to the variations in the muted tones and the bright sparkle of turquoise set into it.

This little quilt just needed to be quilted and I did that one night while DH fixed supper.  The binding was a snap.
 So, piece by piece, my unfavorite fabrics are finding their way into quilts!  Even my unfavorite batting is getting used up.  Maybe by Christmas, I'll come out sort of "even."

2 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Butterscotch, caramels and taffy - even some cotton candy thrown in! You must have has sweets on your mind.

Helen in the UK said...

I wasn't overly keen on the scrappy trips blocks I made either, but the Scrappy Bargello I loved! Funny - huh.
You've made a great job of turning those orphans into great quilts :)