Monday, November 28, 2011

A New Week! Design Wall Monday 11/28/11

I decided that it's time to pull these blocks from the drawer and get the top sewn together.  It was a BOM at the LQS and somewhere in the year I just lost my oomph for the project.  I've completed the blocks and now I've added the borders to 9 of them.

The shadow from the bookcase hides some of those on the right a little bit, but I can begin to see how they might look.  They are completing at 17 inches and I'm not sure if I'll use the pattern for the completion.  I've purchased the fabrics for a certain pattern, but I'm not enamored by it, so we'll see!  The block at the middle bottom row looks strange to me.  I checked the pattern and it is a friendship star and is sewn as the pattern shows, but I'm not in love with it, but I'm not ripping it out either.

Just to let you all know, I did get last week's tops sewn together and they are awaiting purchase of backing fabric--maybe at the beginning of next year.
If my quilter can do this one, I think I can piece some fabrics for a backing, just because it's a scrappy quilt.

This one, however, I'm seriously thinking of entering in the Moab Quilt Guild show in March.  It's just funky enough to get a few comments.  Some of the quilters there are very traditional and this might jar them a bit, but I love the outcome of this fun for me quilt.

It's time to check Judy and the progress of lots of other quilters.


10 comments:

Jo said...

You have some fun projects going on...love the BOM.

Gari said...

Your two completed tops are great, especially the bottom one. It looks a lot like a Bunny Hill pattern, which I love.

AnnieO said...

I think that friendship star just looks a bit off to you because of the on point setting. Love the red border on your scrappy quilt and the fun baskets and wonky pieced quilt would be wonderful to have in a show.

Bonnie said...

Hum, Gari -- more like Bunny Hill doing the funky chicken. I LIKE it! Sometimes you just have to let loose. And, it's nice to shake folks up every once and a while.

scraphappy said...

Great work on finishing the top. Scrappy backs are my favorite kind. The funky quilt is full of FUN. Hope you decide to enter it in the show.

Kate said...

Beautiful projects, all three of them. I like the last one, love the how the colors work together. It is funky and fun!

LindaSue said...

Go for it girl. That is what this is all about anyway, doing your own thing. I don't always care for the fancy stuff. I have always loved the do it yourself version. I know many people will love to get a chance to see this one up close. Great job. Later

QuiltSue said...

I really think you should enter that quilt in the show. I know I always like to see something different that I maybe wouldn't attempt myself when I'm at a show.

Helen in the UK said...

Oh yes, you've got to enter the basket quilt in the show. Even if other 'more traditional' quilters don't like it, it deserves to be shown off! I think the friendship star bother you because it is on-point which isn't the way we usually see it :)

straythreads said...

love all your quilts
ann