Friday, November 25, 2011

These Weeks Keep Zooming By!

Too much food!  It's going to take a few days to get over all the eating and preparing!
 It's Whoop Whoop over here
This week though I did have a fun visit to the Family Connections Center and Sally had a few minutes to visit with me.  Her favorite quilts were these:

Isn't that funny--the ones I just zipped together so quickly on Sunday and Monday!
This is the stack I took to the center on Wednesday.

My favorite was this one, and Sally loved the sunshine in it.

I finally figured out how to use all the 1.5 inch triangles.  I didn't have a pattern as such, I just found a picture I thought I'd try.  This block is a prototype.  It shows up all the imperfections.  I've adjusted my sewing as this really showed up the flaws.  Even a the width of the needle can make the tiny 3.5 inch squares that I sew together to make the 6.5 inch block have to be "sew" perfect.  I may go into the store today and get a smaller needle.
The picture really really shows the imperfections more than the actual fabric.  I'll give this a whirl and see where it goes and I just may not worry about saving all those cut offs after I do this project!!!  The pressing is a nightmare.  a 6.5 inch block--wow, I must have really lost my mind!  I'm just at a place where I want to slow down the whole process.  I've begun to feel like a quilting factory!  I've donated all I'm going to for the year and I just received a big roll of batting, but I'm just going to try for a while--maybe just through December the "process".  Last year it was a 7.5 inch block and this year it looks to be even smaller--we'll see how long this lasts!

If not, I've got a BOM from the year that I can put together and some string blocks are always a possibility--I just don't want to buy any more fabric for awhile!  ...so I may get some tops done, but the backings will just have to wait!


8 comments:

Debbie said...

Go, girl....that is a great stack of donation quilts. Big grin and applause! As for 6 1/2 inch block....are you crazy? That manypieces and that small block, who ever looks for flaws is a fruitcake. Done is better than perfect!

KatieQ said...

Put your magnifying glass away. I'm looking at the same block you are and I'm not seeing imperfections. I like the way the shading in the batiks add to the movement of the blocks.
Great stack of quilts. I'm sure they will provide many loving hugs.
I'm probably a little slow on noticing the new photo you are using, but I really like it. It is very flattering.

Helen in the UK said...

Lovely pile of quilts ready to be donated! I use a size 70 denim needle for all my piecing and swap to an 80 for quilting. Works for me :)

Brita said...

Congrats, they're all great, and I love the "imperfect" block :-)

harleywife57 said...

You work is fabulous ! If you want to see imperfect look at my quilts !!!! What a nice donation !

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Impressive stack of quilts! I like the wonky 'sunshine' star blocks, too!

Sue Daurio said...

Love the donation quilts, great job. But that block you put together is fabulous!! 6.5 inch, holy smokes, now that's what you call quilting :) It really is a great block.

Sarah Craig said...

That's a beautiful stack of donation quilts!! Whoop whoop!!