Sunday, January 15, 2012

Permission to Play--Granted!

After some introspection, I've realized that I've made myself into a production quilter.  Not that much fun!  I've taken stashes from those who have passed on and made donation quilts from them.  Not to say that I didn't have fun, but I had my own stash I wanted to pare down--you know, get rid of the scraps, the pieces that you don't remember why you bought them, etc.  In the process, I lost my zing.

I decided to let my crumbs drawer become a source for play rather than production.  I've also given myself permission to just chuck those pieces I don't want to keep.  I've followed BumbleBeans  and made a few blocks this past year.  But this one looked intriguing and I decided to just PLAY with it.
I came up with this block.
I started here:
 Then added these colors:
 I followed the directions to the "T"  The only thing I will do differently is make the corner triangles from a 7 inch square rather than a 6.5 inch square.  It was just a bit small, and as a result I had to cut the corners from some of the star points, but all in all, I like it.  It lays flat and I'm going to put some borders on it and make a Valentine wall hanging.  Maybe I'll make some letters.  I'm not going to rush--just play.  This is my "treat" for the a.m. playtime!

4 comments:

Miki Willa said...

Yours is beautiful. It is fun seeing the colors people are choosing for this block.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes, we all need some fun time - to just play, create, throw some color, experiment. Enjoy.

QuiltSue said...

That looks like a fun little quilt. The colours are great.

Louise said...

It's amazing that a simple-to-make block can look so complicated! I'm glad you had fun playing with your scraps...your result is so vibrant.