Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Color, Color, Color and then There's Value!

Yesterday I played around with some scraps and the 15 Minutes of Play HERE
Although I opted to again use my template rather than the new PDF for paper piecing I got my block done.
I'm having a bit of a struggle lately holding the camera steady for a clean, crisp photo, but this gives me enough to work with.  It didn't seem as clean as my first one,

So, I did a black and white of that
Although the colors lend themselves to each other, it appears the values are too much alike.  So, today I'll try another one and make the value more pronounced.  I'm working toward making four of these and then putting borders on it for a baby quilt for Project Linus.  Maybe by the fifth block, I'll have a better sense of not only the colors, but the piecing and the VALUE!!  This is helping me as I'm still toying with what fabrics to use for this months color challenge (see the side bar).
At 9:40 I posted this:

After cutting I spread this out
Well, it looks sharper, but then look what happens when I grayscale it
The bright yellow and the bright turquoise have the same value or "grey".  Onto looking at more in my stash.  I'll post what I find later.



Not quite.
I've lost the color one of this and my battery is low, but here is what I think I'll sew up today.
For now--off to the gym.

6:30 p.m.
I had a bit of a problem with this one not laying as flat as the other two, but two down, two more to go and I'll have the beginning of a quilt.

1 comment:

QuiltSue said...

Grayscaling them is a brilliant way of seeing how fabrics will play against each other I think.