Thursday, March 8, 2012

Color Palette Challenge for February

It's a bit late, but it has been a fun challenge for me.  The official place to post this is now closed, because of the post date, but I'll post about it here before I send it on to the quilter.


The February Color Palette Challenge appeared HERE

I shopped for fabrics and made my selection
Changed it up a bit here

My first layout
Then this:
Now this--the piecing is now FINISHED!
The pattern "Whirlin' Dervish" comes from MillerQuilts by Margaret J. Miller  and the  pattern  is still on the internet HERE     In 2009, I don't think I could have done it.  But it's 2012 and I have!!!

Out of curiosity, I looked  dervish and found out about a word I had know little about before this.  It is an Urdu phrase "darveshaneh tabiat" that means "an unflabbable or ascetic temperament."   That would mean self denial--of which I know little about.  Ha Ha!

But, it is also a whirling dance that is associated with Turkish Dervishes and is said to symbolize the movement of the planets in relation to the sun represented by the sheik, who supervises the dance.

I like the Persian phrase which means "one who opens doors."

If one looks at the quilt pattern one can almost see the Persian dancers whirling and dancing!

I'm excited about my new quilt top and can't wait to get it quilted!

Linking over to Sarah HERE

17 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

A very interesting pattern and works so well with this difficult color palette. Even if late, well done!.

Diane Wild said...

What a challenging pattern. I'm going to try it. Your finish is amazing.

Terri said...

That is one great color combo, and I love the pattern you applied it to. Such a pretty and exciting quilt.
Hugs!

rubyslipperz said...

This pattern looks like it would take some patience to bring it to the beautiful place you brought it to! I LUV the movement in the colors, the way you placed them in the design.

miss you at group!

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

QuiltSue said...

That looks great. The colours must have been quite difficult to work with, and I don't think the pattern would have been easy either.

Sue Daurio said...

Wow!! Great pattern and the Feb colors, you really worked those. It looks incredible :)

Kat said...

I love your final layout. There is so much movement in the pattern and colors. Beautiful job!

P. said...

What a great pattern, and it works so well with your color challenge colors!

Alycia said...

That is an amazing quilt. The color palette worked wonderfully with it! Great job!!

Sara said...

Awesome! I love the points of symmetry in there and the colors are a wow factor!

Daisy said...

Patti, That is just beautiful. You should be so proud of yourself.

Quiet Quilter said...

Lovely! An accomplishment definitely!

Aimee said...

Wow, that is just incredible. Fantastic job making those colors work so well together, & I love that block.

Sarah Craig said...

Pattilou, that's a beautiful quilt - I love the colors!! And interesting info about dervishes! Whoop whoop!!

Donna said...

Wow!! That is wild!!

Helen in the UK said...

What an unusual and interesting block! Love your colour choices :)

LynCC said...

Very cool. Whoop! Whoop!