Monday, May 7, 2012

Dyeing to Know!

Today I'm practicing my skills at dyeing.
I started with some unbleached muslin that had been pre-washed.  I needed to try a Chartreuse color for my daughter to make some fabric bracelets.  I have some hemp coming this week, so I thought I'd fine tune some of the steps of the dyeing process before that fabric arrives.

First off, a little primer here mostly for my remembering- on dye fixatives.

Vinegar is used to set ORGANIC dyes such as (carrots/hemp/beets/onions/ etc.)  Vinegar has no effect on non-organic dyes like Pricion.  I do however like to use a small amount of vinegar occasionally as I wash quilts for giving as it does clear out any fragrance.  I've not had any trouble with a vinegar smell when doing this.  I often use it when washing my towels too!

Retayne is a dye fixative of the loose dye on the fabric.  If you treat the colorfastness of dyes with Retayne it will chemically encourage the loose dye to bond with the fabric.
     Never use Retayne on a quilt.  The loose dye in the water can easily bond to any color within the quilt.
    
     Retayne is for FABRIC of one color in one color group.
 

                                              +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Synthrapol, is like a dye catcher--maybe even one on steriods.

This is a detergent that is specifically made to bond with loose dye and keep it suspended in water so that it will go down the drain.  Wash each fabric that has been hand dyed with Synthrapol.  This would be one that you could possilbe use on a red and white quilt to keep the dye from migrating to the white fabric the excess dye will go down the drain.  Be careful with Synthrapol as it is quite toxic.  I always use gloves with this.

Today's dyed fabric in Chartreuse.  The fabric on the left is the second dye bath.  The one on the right is the first.  2 teas. dye to 1 1/2 qt warm water.



Can't you just see this with some turquoise beads?   YUM!





1 comment:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great color and yes I can see that with torq! I will leave the fabric dyeing to others as I am a clutz-o-matic!