Wednesday, June 6, 2012

70 West 100 North

My Liberated Round Robin piece is now complete.
For now it hangs above the fireplace.  My living room needs a little brightening for the summer months and it will stay there until I can get a quilt completed for the big wall where the stairs are.

Reporting on the serendipity of this quilt which would be to say that
Serendipity is the gift of finding valuable or agreeable things. 


I found some new skills while working on this quilt.  I paid attention to some posting on the Liberated Quilting Yahoo Group about invisible thread and decided I'd try my hand at using some.  I had some missteps and tension things to work out, but I'm sure I'll use this kind of thread again.  I also machine stitched the binding using the invisible thread and I liked how it works for that.  I have a hard time with hand stitching, so this could be a blessing for me!  It doesn't show up as much as using cotton thread for that finishing step.

I also used some quilting ideas I'd not tried before:
 I did a pebble stitch and some lines and on the dark blue small border I did a Greek motif to practice square corners.

I had purchased a  
 and some
 from
 WOW is all I can say.  I've wanted the supreme slider for awhile and kept putting off buying it, but I can say after doing some practice quilting on this

 I am totally sold on that Supreme Glider.  The tension of my machine worked for free style quilting with so much more ease and the glider made the movement of the quilt in my home sewing machine much smoother!!!

Serendipity indeed!!!

Here's more about my Liberated Quilt. 
On Monday May 7 I did a whack job on the quilt.   There was something about my piece that I didn't like and I decided it was the bottom.  This is my piece awaiting the last step:



Okay, here's what I'd done with what I had.  (some of those smaller parts were from Clare in France).  The pieces that I had last
Raggety Sister left a comment that it reminded her of a "hip city neighborhood."  My mind took a new turn from there!

I kept looking at the piece and decided to not use red, but use orange.  I moved things around and came up with this

The little piece with the girls playing dolls was a little scrap from some fabric I'd sent off to Sunshine Quilts and I'd planned just using it in a quilt for some child.  But, I thought, "Why don't I make a semblance of my childhood neighborhood?"

I grew up for the most part in a business district of a small town.  Across the street was the elementary school and down the street was the butcher, the cleaners and and electrician's shop.  My dad had a bakery.  We lived in the apartment above it until I was about eight and then my parent's purchased the house just next to the bakery. (Located at 70 West 100 North--thus the title of the quilt).  The little girl is me playing with a friend at my house.  The house on the right is her house.  It was in a neighborhood.  I loved that neighborhood and thus I put the little window on my friend's house that represents the love I felt when at her house.  The black in front represents the street the bakery and the house is located.

I decided I needed a sidewalk between the lawn and the street and added this

But, as I said before, it bothered me--too much black at the bottom and the strip for the dividing line was too big.  So, I cut it down and this is now my piece.
Well, that's the story of the pieces, the assembly of the quilt and the story with it.

Now, I'm linking over to Sarah for a Whoop Whoop  She's showing a quilt I may use for a project to use some brights I've got sitting around it.  It would be fun to have some BIG pieces in a quilt for a change!
Also connecting to Quilting by the River  and  Sew Many Ways

12 comments:

QuiltSue said...

It's fascinating to read what the various parts of the quilt mean to you. Thanks for sharing it with us.

KatieQ said...

This quilt is great. I love how you described all of the elements and what they meant to you. It sounds as though you have stored a lot of wonderful memories in your quilt.

Helen in the UK said...

Fun quilting on a super-fun quilt! Looks like you really enjoyed playing with all the elements of this one and the results are fabulous! Glad you get to enjoy having this one for a while at least :)

Sharon B said...

Just popped over from sew many ways find a friend friday. I LOVE this quilt. I have some blocks from a liberated class I took and need to do something with them - small like this may do the trick.

My link is the story quilt - would love to have you stop by my blog!
Sharon

Kat said...

What a beautiful quilt! I think my favorites are the ones that develop as we go along, until they become just right. Thanks for the info on the supreme slider... I think I might need to try one of those. LOVE the close-up photo of the "Love" block... your quilting is beautiful!

Kat said...

What a beautiful quilt! I think my favorites are the ones that develop as we go along, until they become just right. Thanks for the info on the supreme slider... I think I might need to try one of those. LOVE the close-up photo of the "Love" block... your quilting is beautiful!

Sue Daurio said...

Oh is such a sweet quilt and the quilting just makes it absolutely adorable!! The Love in the window just made me smile :)

Connie said...

What a wonderful quilt and new tools are always fun to use! Thanks for sharing!
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Quiet Quilter said...

I enjoy seeing quilts in progress and how they turn out...

And the story behind it is fascinating...

Sharon said...

Wow, this came out great! Thanks for walking us through your process. It's always fun and interesting to see how quilts develop. (I know it sure is a process for mine!) It's also fun to learn what this quilt means to you. Lovely story! Congrats on a wonderful finish!

Sarah Craig said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I've always been fascinated by Round Robin quilts - someday I may give it a try! Whoop whoop!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I like the way you changed your quilt - I think it made a big difference in the presentation. What a wonderful quilt and a wonderful story! And I'm so glad you mentioned the slider. I accidentally tore mine - don't ask :) - and need to order another. I'll add that to my Amazon list. blessings, marlene