Monday, June 11, 2012

A Little Bit Vintage

It was actually my paternal grandmother that planted a seed for my love of quilting.  Recently, while at my sister's house, she gave me a piece of fabric she'd used to repair a quilt that was our grandmother's.  I came home and used some of that fabric in a little girl's quilt.

Because that fabric had been pre-washed and I added it to my other fabrics that hadn't been, I needed to quilt it more than usual so that there wouldn't be big puffy places where there are spaces in the quilting.  I used a meander quilting and after it was washed it just took on the look of a vintage quilt itself.  I backed it in flannel so it is a very comfy quilt.

Here's a shot from the front:
I was so anxious to see how the quilting puffed up that I forgot to take a picture before washing.  Those seem to be the better pictures, but this is the final quilt and is so nice to the touch.  I love, love, love how a quilt looks after I wash it!
 I blogged about the blocks last Monday Here


My stash is being used up so that I can at least have a boy's quilt!  Cowboy boots--should appeal to someone who either loves cowboys or whose grandpa is a rancher or wears boots.
Linking over to Quilting by the River

5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I just love that little 'girly' quilt - and I like flannel on the backs for cuddliness. And your 'boots' is just too adorable!

Connie said...

What a precious quilt and how neat to have that special fabric in it! Cute little boy quilt! Thanks for sharing!
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Sue Daurio said...

That little girl quilt is wonderful. I LOVE a quilt just out of the dryer, that wrinkled look just waiting to be wrapped around someone special. Beautiful!!

Terry@ iluvmybugs said...

Both quilts are so cute...love how cuddly soft that little girl's quilt looks!! TFS

KatieQ said...

I love the soft colors in the top quilt. If I didn't see the blocks before you quilted it, I would never have guessed that it was a string quilt.
That's a great quilt for a little boy. Who can resist a cowboy theme?