Saturday, July 14, 2012

I LOVE a BARGAIN

In my last post lamenting the $12 sticker price on quilting fabric, I found a few bargains at Elaines Quilt Block

It was such a lovely experience.  There were so many fabrics that just had me in heaven and I would have loved to buy a lot.  But my mission was to use a coupon I'd purchased for $15 that allowed me to buy $30 of fabric.  It was a 35-40 minute drive and it wasn't too long before I went looking for the restroom.  The sales help were busy assisting others so I figured it would be where the classes are taught.  So, I ventured downstairs.  Not only did I find the rest room, but I found some lovely fabrics cut in 2-3 yard pieces for $4 a yard.  I picked up several then I started adding them up in my head and put half of them back!

I then went upstairs and found a package of fat eighths in Black and White.  It's very hard to find just the right black and white fabrics.  This little package brought me half way to my $30!  I found some bright fat quarters I think will work into some lovely blocks with that black and white.

I also found a lovely hand quilting hoop.  It was a $58 floor model marked down to $20!!! I couldn't believe my luck!!!
There it is all assembled and I've draped my latest quilt top along with a package of that $4 a yard fabric.  I think it may work for the back.  It looks a little dull on my monitor, but it's actually a fun bright green.  I'll blog more about that quilt when I get it finished.  There's lots of history in that little number!  Back to the quilting frame--maybe with the high price of fabrics I can slow the process down by doing some hand quilting on some smaller pieces.  We'll see--my personality seems to be a "vroom -vroom" when it comes to quilting and maybe I can't really slow it down, but for $20 I just might try.  The great big quilting frames I had, were just too big.  This may just work!

Anyhow, I ended up adding some thread to bring my purchase up, as I just wasn't ready to commit to buying $10-12 fabric quite yet!  But, I'm still ecstatic about my little bag of goodies.
  This morning I felt pretty good--I've been breathing so much better lately and can do my yard work again, and I was cutting of the dead heads on my daisies.  I looked at a Red Star Cordyline that the sun seems to have beaten down a bit and I decided to put it on my front porch out of the direct sun for a bit and see if it gets a little color back into its leaves.  Anyhow I pulled a pot from the back and filled it and went to the local nursery.  Found some goodies and some at 70% off!  Doing a happy dance again!

I found the silk flowers and put them into the hole of the antique butter churn (that has no churn)!  *grin*
It seemed to spruce up the porch a bit and the new planter seems proud to now be of use.

Well, now that I've shared my shopping adventures, I'll go back to sandwiching some quilts so I can quilt and finish the quilt tops!

3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, you did very well indeed! Super buy on the frame and look at all the fabric.

April said...

Yay for good deals! I've never hand quilted, I think it would be fun. :) I picture myself hand quilting and watching the little ones play quietly, but I know that's just not how it would be. ;) but maybe I'll try anyway. :)

Helen in the UK said...

Quilty fabrics at bargain prices, who could resist!! Love the look of those B/Ws and the spotties :)