Monday, July 2, 2012

Restful Colors for the Soul

I admit it.  I'm already tired of the unending heat, no rain and fires.  Close to where my son lives was a fire and we were glued to the TV watching it unfold.
The fires destroyed 4 homes and some acreage before it was totally doused.  Our children didn't have to evacuate as they were on the other side of a ridge.  We didn't know it at the time and just got the text "we're packing."  My heart goes out to all the fire victims across the country.  This is a hot dry summer.   More on containment of Utah fires

I picked out of my stash some five inch squares and picked out the cool, soft colors to soften the heat I feel.  I used an 8.5 inch strip 1.5 inches wide to place in the squares and then I trimmed them to 5 inches as some of them didn't come out big enough to be a 5.5 inch square.  I cut a strip 8.5 inches from the lavender that is a rather funny color for matching and it worked well with the pastels.  I'm going for a square quilt on this one I think.  Maybe I'll stop at 8 blocks by 8 blocks making a total needed of 64.  I'll think about a border as I progress.

This will be another donation quilt.  Linking over to Patchwork Times 
See the Finish Here

5 comments:

Mimi said...

My cousin's son is a fire fighter.... he fights these massive fires... in fact was called during the family reunion to please get home - 1,000 miles away as a fire went from 5,000 acres to 156,000 acres in 24 hours. All hands on deck ..... even the "down" time pictures look dangerous to me.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your new quilt in progress - very soft! Love your up-dated personal photo too.

April said...

very pretty! patchwork quilts are my favorite. It is very sad about the fires; I'm glad that your son and family are safe.

April said...

very pretty! patchwork quilts are my favorite. It is very sad about the fires; I'm glad that your son and family are safe.

marcella said...

Really pretty colors together. Who'd have thought that the lavender would look so lovely. Glad your son and his family are safe!