Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Jelly Rolls--In My Opinion

I've not been a real big fan of jelly rolls, but I have got some finishes this month from them and I caught a really cute top made by Sharon HERE   I followed the link to Crooked Seams HERE  and I realized that I actually have three tops and one quilt ready for binding that have made it from my machine and my quilter's machine this month.  I just think I've changed my idea about jelly rolls and will try some of the cute ideas I found through that blog.  Great info Megan!

First, I started with a jelly roll a long time ago and finished This Slice of Lime  I saved the blocks leftover from that and then used the cut of pieces and made very small HST's that I made into a 6.5 Birds in Flight block.  The quilt is now finished and returned from the quilter and now is ready for binding.  I love the variation from the original quilt!  But here is the new one.
I guess you could say that I got "Two for one" on this because two quilts came from one jelly roll.
                                                              *******************


I had three jelly rolls of Riley Blake "All Sports" and I thought maybe I could use one of them up in a beginners quilt challenge.  Well----I just got going and made 4.5" width strips by sewing two 2.5 inch strips together.  I could use that size in the 12.5 inch blocks and ended up with three new tops that are now ready for quilting.  So, I'm going to share these on Crooked Seams for July.

This is the first one done with a tan toned background.

And this one from a more taupe colored top that I needed to finish with white background as I ran out of the taupe and it didn't really go with the tan I had started--so I made the second one here:  (I sent this off for Sarah to finish into a quilt at http://www.confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/

This next one is the final quilt from the jelly roll--this makes THREE quilts from the beginnings of one jelly roll.  This one is the one my grandson picked yesterday that he wants me to quilt for his "big boy" quilt (he's now 3) and needs a big boy quilt rather than his baby quilt.


For this top, I used the blues and reds in the jelly roll and extended them by some fabric I purchased recently that was on a Thursday special at Stitch-n-Frame.

4 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yeah - she's on a roll - sorry for the pun. Lovely quilts and well done.

Helen in the UK said...

I'm not a fan of commercial jelly rolls, but I do love 2.5" strips. You have made some more wonderful donation quilts - congrats :)

KatieQ said...

I have some jelly rolls that I haven't used because I can't make up my mind what to do with them. Thanks for the inspiration. Your quilts look great.

Megan said...

Those quilts are AWESOME! Thanks for linking up and for the kind words! How cute are those birds in flight blocks? Congratulations on so many finishes in July! Nothing like a little summer productivity.