Monday, August 6, 2012

Scraps, Scraps and More Scraps

When purchasing fabric, I never seem to realize how long it will take me to make a quilt!  As I've been working through the fabrics I've wanted to get used up into donation quilts, it's taken me quite awhile to make the quilts.

As in previous posts, anyone can see I've made several crumb blocks from the focus fabrics I've had left over!

This quilt is made by taking 6.5 inch crumb blocks and sewing them into one big 12.5 inch block.  I made eight of these blocks of similar variations, using the "cats" fabric and I had a bit of "giraffe" fabric I made into similar blocks.  I needed eight of these:

I then took 7 blocks from the 6.5 inch size and added a border made with 3.5 inch fabric.  These blocks are 12.5 inch blocks.
I then sewed the blocks together in this fashion:
Since I didn't have enough of the tan fabric for a border, I added some fabric I had that blended into the rest of the pieces.  Remember, my object is to use up what I have and reduce my stash of the focus fabrics!

Another little quilt I quilted yesterday is from some cat fabric.



 This is the tail end of that fabric and I used the leftover blocks in the backing.  I purchased 2 yards of the gray fabric and used up every little piece of that so there are only two small strips thrown into the scrap drawer.
I hope to get that bound in black today and get it washed for delivery!

This little number was completed.
I practiced a few different kinds of quilting in the different borders.  Practice! Practice! Practice!  Sometimes I get into a production mode and just want to finish so that I can get onto the next project, but this one was small enough to provide some practice.


This past week we had our some of our family here.

Our eight year old found he liked sewing on the machine.

He sewed a few lines and then started cutting his fabric and then making it into hand warmer, arm warmer and foot warmer.  But, the cutest was his hat he made.  His first one was too small, so I helped him measure and then he sewed this together:

 He's quite independent and has a visual picture of what he wants.  His impatience keeps him from staying with it for a long time, but for an eight year old, I see some promise!!

The girls were busy making flip flops with water balloons tied to the foot piece.
The other granddaughter has to wait for some bigger flip flops as the ones we got were a bit too small.  But, she's got the bag of balloons and the idea and I'm sure they'll get the right size on their way home!

The youngest found that watering is his favorite past time.
Now for some shots that the eight year old took of Grampy's garden.  This was where he first headed when he got out of the car.  He loves the garden and he's not bad with the camera either!


On over to Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday


6 comments:

straythreads said...

the quilts are great. love the hat!!! and I have garden envy peaches? I wish I had raised beds.
Ann

Cathy Tomm said...

Good looking quilts, kids and garden.

Terri said...

Looks like you have a designer coming up in the grandkid ranks.
Love the water balloon usage. So colorful.
Hugs

Helen in the UK said...

Great way to use up the last of those focus fabrics. LOVE the expressions of the cats faces!! Looks like you are having a lot of fun with the grands :)

Gayle Bong said...

Love your crumb quilt. Great setting.

KatieQ said...

I love the way you alternated the 12 inch crumb blocks with the framed 6 inch block. It really makes up a cute quilt. Your grand daughters did a great job with the flip flops. It looks like your grandson has a knack for design. It looks like you had a great time with the children.