Monday, August 13, 2012

Weekend Sewing~~Finishes for Project Linus

This weekend I finished up two more quilts for Project Linus:
This one was a sentimental one.  Many of the fabrics contained in this quilt also contained memories.  The second quilt I made for our oldest grandson, circa 2003-2004, were made using the skateboarder fabric.  He loved his skateboard and was very good on it.  Lunn Fabrics was in the process of changing over about that time and offered the end of the bolt and I bought it hoping I would have plenty.  Well, being a beginning quilter, I didn't know what "plenty" meant.  I've used that fabric in many quilts, but this used up the last of it--unless there are some crumb blocks in a stack somewhere I've not used in this one. 

There is also the remnant of the fabric I used a few years ago for his surfing quilt.  I had plenty of that too.  I made a quilt for him, some bedroom accessories and a quilt for his surfing friend that was in an auto accident.  The bits and pieces in this quilt remind me of my love for him and how I've shared with him a quilt for his interests as he's grown.  He's now 16 and on the surfing team for his high school.  Who knows what future interests for him will be.  He's a unique young man with many insights.

Here is a close-up of the skaters.

I quilted the quilt in an "organic" style of lines--which loosely interpreted means, not quite straight, but close.

The other quilt finished is this girl style quilt I made from scraps and also quilted it in an "organic" line style, which is perfect when I don't know what else to do and I really want to move on to another quilt as I still have quite a few to finish.
Backing:
I have a busy week ahead and I doubt there will be much quilting.  I'm waiting on some African fabric so I can work on the bed quilt for my son.  I got some thread that will work on my youngest grandson's "big boy" quilt, but I don't know if I can get that done this week!

5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great quilt from past project - oh, if you left a few bits somewhere - they will multiply!

Bridget said...

Your quilts have a very modern sensibility and I love that you could use some "oldies but goodies" in them. Making quilts with fabric friends is fun!

Terri said...

Love your quilts! Some of the nicest quilts are crumbs from the scrap bag. Some Linus recipient is going to love those.
Hugs

Helen in the UK said...

I particularly love the bright colours of the first one. Fun fabric too - love that it is full of memories for you :)

KatieQ said...

I really like contrast with the white squares and the scrappy blocks.