Thursday, September 13, 2012

I'm A Bit Conflicted...

It's early and I could be making blocks or I could be sandwiching a quilt for quilting--but instead, I'm looking at blogs that do Modern Quilts.  I want to do Modern Quilts, but so much of my stash is rather traditional.  Some are brights as I've been buying more lately, but I look at the other blogs and I don't have all the cutesy Moda fabrics.  I guess I'm too cheap to buy fabrics at $12 a yard when my goal is to give the quilts away.

                                              ************************************

So, I try my hand at making do with what I have.  The other day, I was making bright blocks for the monthly Sunshine Lotto.  The object is to give blocks for a Lotto and the half of the blocks go for quilts for Sunshine--either to Wrap A Smile or Wrap Them in Love--both great places to give.  But then I got a letter that the guild I belong to in Moab needed some quilts for Kids in Crisis there.

Well, while making my bright blocks--using just a fat quarter of baby bears fabric, I came up with more than a few blocks and an idea.  While looking for something to go with the bears, I found some fabric--less than a yard and I thought--gees maybe I can make a modern type quilt from these blocks.  So, I put one block in the Sunshine pile, and another block in the Moab pile and then took the remaining fabrics some of which was a hand dye I'd made from some of my fabrics and came up with a quilt.  I quilted it yesterday with "organic" lines--which means--they aren't straight!  Then when I took the picture, I noticed that the quilt isn't quite straight, but when it was washed and folded, I didn't really notice.

 So here is my new little sorta Modern Quilt:



The blocks I finished and mailed off to sunshine



I also quilted another little number from some donation fabric I had--it turned out sorta cute--not one of my favorites, but hopefully someone will like it and it used up some pale blue floral for the backing that isn't one of my favorites either.  The black and white was to try to add a bit of jazz to the quilt--don't know if it worked or not.


And some more "organic" quilting
   Last night I finally finished binding this little quilt.


Looks rather strange with my fall quilt on the right--but eventually I'll find that little package of 3-M hanging thingees, that I bought last week....   And I'll put that small little quilt somewhere on an empty wall...



Now, should I do the beans DH picked or more quilting???   See, I told you I was conflicted!


Sharing with Whoop Whoop It's Friday Again!

7 comments:

April said...

I'm more of traditional quilter too. However, it is fun to try something new and try new stuff. :) Your quilt is lovely. I can't afford to always buy designer fabrics, but when I do I buy from ebay or etsy. I can find Moda and other designer fabrics for about $6-9 a yard. Your flower wall hanging is so pretty.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I don't buy fabric at the top price - sales and winnings or gifted. I am more excited about a zip bag of someone's scraps than a shrink wrapped bundle of new. Modern breaks rules, which is fun sometimes, but the lacking of basics sometimes bother's me. Quilting is a form of artistry - with any artist, it is their interpretation. Give 6 artists the same materials and you will get 6 different outcomes - give 6 qilters the same 1 yrd. of fabric and you will get 6 differnt quilts. Hmm, beans or quilting - can't help you there!

Helen in the UK said...

You go girl! Love your spin on a modern quilt. I'm hopeless at straight lines, so all of mine would be more 'organic' than I intended ... that's probably why I do mostly freemotion swirls, etc. As long as you're having fun :)

Missy Shay said...

I love the sunflowers, you did a great job!

Elaine M said...

You have been really busy and what a great outcome. Fun modern quilt. Love the 2 wonky squares with the B&W centers, a whole wuilt with these would be fun. Lovely sunflowers.

P. said...

Kudos for trying new things! That's one of the many beauties of quilting, that you can try different styles and techniques and see what works and doesn't and what you like and don't. Your little sunflower quilt is adorable!

Carol E. said...

Modern quilts = you don't have to worry about traditional rules such as 'quilts need to be straight.' It's great as is!