Friday, October 26, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival Fall 2012

        Welcome to the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  The Show is found Here at Amy's Creative Side 
                   
                                                          My quilt for this show:
                                                    Finished quilt measures : 110 x 110 inches
                                Special techniques used : strip piecing on a foundation
                                             Quilted by : Judy Stuhlman
                              Best Category : Bed Quilt, Professionally Quilted, Scrap Quilt
                                                                Entry Number: 36
This is an amazing quilt show and I've enjoyed it along with many others for years.  It just seems to get better and better.  I'll share again, one of the quilts I've made this year and blogged about earlier.  It is one of my favorite quilts. 

Serendipity!  I started this quilt as a way to use my African scraps and the quilt just kept on growing.  I checked with my son to see if he wanted it as a bedspread as he didn't have one in his new home.  

"YES!"  was his reply.  His only request was that it needed to be big enough so that he didn't need a bedskirt to hid the box springs.  This quilt measures 110" by 110".  I'd say that is big enough to not need a bedskirt, wouldn't you?


I love string quilts and the black strip in the center seems to set it off quite nicely.  I had purchased the Drums of Africa from two different suppliers when I could see it might go out of stock, so luckily I had plenty to finish the quilt.  I did need to make a rush purchase of a bit more reddish African fabric in order to keep a bit of red in most of the blocks.  This quilt's history spans back to 2003 when I started collecting African fabrics.  I've made several African themed quilts and was ready to use up my stash to make room for another area of concentration.  I also had plenty of black Kona cotton which I used for the strips and the inner sashing.

I even had enough for some pillow cases, to complete and ensemble that I hated to part with:
It's a guy friendly quilt that my husband really favored and would like me to come near to another in making one for the room that now seems to cry for this quilt. 




 The quilt seemed to get heavier and heavier as I put it together.  I didn't want it to be too heavy so I separated the bigger squares with tiny strips of fabric that added the size of another strip of blocks without adding the extra weight.  I like how they defined the blocks better than if I would have just sewn all the blocks together.  I chose a light polyester batting that I don't normally use for that same reason--trying to keep the quilt from getting too heavy.  I think it worked out well and if it isn't warm enough for Utah's cold winters, a blanket can be added underneath this quilt.


 
  but this little guy grown up got it!
Nate found this photo for me in the scrapbook I gave him, I only had one copy of the picture.  At the time, it was shot with just a small brownie camera, but I loved the tones.  It doesn't show up all that well when compared to today's lovely digital images, but it holds a special place in my memory bank of a cute little lad wearing his dad's felt had while wearing overalls--pausing just long enough for one photo! 

29 comments:

Mimi said...

You did a great job on the quilt and I love the story that goes with it. Perfect Blogger Festival Quilt! Thanks for sharing.

Carla said...

Scrappy! Great job!

April said...

Your quilt is so beautiful! I'm glad you are entering it in the Blogger Quilt Festival.

Sew Lovins said...

What a gorgeous quilt!

paulette said...

Thanks for sharing!! Love your quilt!
P

Shannon said...

I love this! Almost everything I make is bright colors but I was immediately drawn to your darker earthier palette. Your son is very lucky!

CitricSugar said...

It's really beautiful. Love the warmth in the colours!

straythreads said...

wonderful colors black sashing really sets it off.
ann

LethargicLass said...

gorgeous quilt... I can see why your hubby wants one too lol

QuiltSue said...

A great quilt. I love the colours.

Sunshine Girl said...

Wow what a fabulous quilt - I am impressed by the size of it, I think the biggest I have managed is 60"x60"! well done. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

I love this huge manly quilt! It's such a great way to make all those prints and fabrics work together.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Wow this quilt is huge!! The African fabric are really wonderful and so perfect for string blocks. I love your use of black to break up the blocks.

Seams Sew Together said...

Looks fabulous especially on the bed

Esther said...

I love your string quilt, and I think the black sets off the blocks perfectly. I love the African fabrics, and I love how big it is. This is a beautiful quilt.

Karen said...

Wow, there is a lot of work in this quilt. Love the fabrics. it looks great.

Dana Gaffney said...

Wow, that is beautiful. I really like the colors you used, the black really sets the blocks off, you've made me re-think the sashing I'm using for my next string quilt. Thanks.

Rene' said...

Beautiful quilt!!! I love string quilts, and this one with the warm colors is perfect for a guy.

Quilting Babcia said...

Beautiful quilt! I really love how the black sets off the great African prints.

Mary Ann said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Really liked the story you told to go along with the quilt.

Lonci said...

This quilt is wonderful, congratulations:)))

Sandra said...

Another delightful string quilt -- you are like a one woman quilting factory!!!
Kudos on another winner.

Come see my entries #23 antique zigzag and #46 repro tulip batik

bevkimmel said...

I really like string quilts and yours is especially nice-and unique!

Sharon said...

A beautiful quilt! I love the strings, and I love how all the fabrics work together so well. I can see why your hubby wants you to make another one!

diannajessie said...

I like string quilts too, and you African fabrics work really well in it! is it really heavy being so big?

Laura said...

My husband would love your quilt!

Nana said...

Your string quilt is amazing. I guess I'm going to have to stop tying up my tomato plants with all my skinny scraps!

Elle said...

Just wonderful!

Eileen said...

Lovely quilt and such a wonderful guy one! Great fabrics. Thanks for sharing and have a great day