Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I've Gained a New Admiration for my Grandmother!

While my regular machine is in the shop, I've been using my Singer Featherweight.  No one wants to argue its durability!  It is a regular workhorse.  But, I'm so used to speeding along while piecing, having my needle stop in either an "up" or "down" position, or having the ability to machine quilt, that I've felt a bit out of sync!  My grandmother made some beautiful quilts on a treadle machine which is even one more step away!  Although while at the shop, I stopped by the brand new sewing machines with the larger throat space, I didn't allow myself to shop as it just isn't in the budget right now--no sympathy here--we're just living with our decisions--one being a new carpet--and yes!!! I love it!

My grandmother was a perfectionist!  This included piecing, pressing and quilting---and I won't even go into the way she prepared food!  But, this week, I've certainly gained another scope of how she managed her sewing in that bygone era!  

On another note, I finished the top I was working on.  I broke all the rules in Bonnie Hunter's Bricks and Stepping-stones quilt pattern found here:   I had the bricks already cut and saved from other projects and they weren't all medium or dark fabrics.  I had other stones blocks saved from other projects too and then I cut and sewed more and put together this quilt top which I'll send to the local Project Linus. 
The overall effect isn't as stunning as Bonnie's, but I'm trying to use some of my older fabrics and fall colors in the same go 'round!  In real life, the darker bricks and the black and yellow stones don't stand out as much and blend into the quilt quite well, and when quilted, I'm sure it will be fine!

When my machine went out, I called our local Project Linus director and lamented my broken machine and all the unfinished tops in my closet.  I asked if there was anyone who would finish my tops.  She said, "YES!  Send them on."  So I packaged up the 8 tops in various stages of finish and dropped them off at the drop off place locally.
I really like to experience the finished quilt after it's washed, but the closet was full and with the new top just finished, I'll be filling it up again, soon.  

For now, I'm trying to decide just what to do today, and I'm sure I'll find something!

Linking to Freemotion by the River

and Whoop Whoop Here 

4 comments:

Terri said...

You could design and cut, wash fabric and iron it dry. Sorry to hear about your machine. Mine's been making a sound I don't like since I took it on vacation. I think it needs and oil and lube job.
Hugs

Vroomans' Quilts said...

A back up machine is better than none until faithful comes home - I have had my workhorse a chuggin' since she came back from the spa/repair. Now I like that look to the steppingstone/brick - I got a box of various red/lights that geesh I could use up this way, thank you.

Helen in the UK said...

We are so lucky with modern advances in quilting equipment - I wouldn't be able to do it if I had to work with templates, scissors and a hand-crank machine!
Love your Bricks variation - that pattern always turns out looking good :)

Alycia said...

Boy - I really like it even if you did break the rules. I love browns and creams together!