Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013 is Here! Happy New Year!


The holiday "blur" left my head this morning.  I've been feeling so under the weather for 2 weeks that the thought of even posting was out of the question.  This morning the fog lifted--quit drinking the mushroom tea that was supposed to be great for my flu and took a teaspoon of B-12 instead and drank my usual coffee.  It seemed like my head cleared and I'm getting back to my former form!  So much for what's supposed to be good--well my sis can take it all she wants, but I think I'll politely decline!

I did get a set of quilts to the Project Linus deposit place here in Northern Utah:

I had some fabric that I purchased at the beginning of 2012.  It was such a bargain, but after I got it here, I wasn't too enthralled.  I threw it in a drawer and it happened to be next to a blue that I wasn't too fond of either--so much for some online shopping.

When I was cutting fabrics earlier in November, I found this book and thought of that fabric:
  The pattern called for three coordinating colors and I had on hand some gold and barely enough bubblegum pink.  After I sewed the top, I noticed that Judy advised using a blended fabric rather than a solid--oh well, too late, it was sewn.  

This is a bigger view of the fabric:


 
the quilt ended up looking like this and I may add a border at the bottom and the top before I sandwich it for quilting.
As New Year's Day approached, I decided to use purple strings for a center and try using up some wide assortments of strings.  I think I still have enough for one more, but my drawer holding these is now very much under control.  (Happy New Year to self!)

  So friends, that's all from my little corner of the world.  Still talking a lot with my sis until she goes back from Utah to Georgia for work.  It's a time I look forward to and a time she connects with something other than the small town minutia that pervades my mom's existence.  Gotta have someone to bounce all that stuff off---so she calls me and we laugh!

Happy Sewing!
 

6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have that book! Love how yours came out. Tamed a box of strings?? Wow - impressed - Happy New Years

Debbie said...

Love how the strings look with the dark strip....and that you got them under control. I'm planning on doing another to get mine down.
The 9 patch pizazz is great....it is all in the fabric selection. I did one with a scenic print and it looked great.

Helen in the UK said...

You've achieved a lot despite being under the weather! Glad your head has now cleared and you can look forward to a productive 2013. Happy New Year :)

QuiltSue said...

Sorry you haven't been well. I must say, mushroom tea sounds quite revolting - a case of the cure being worse than the illness I think?

BrendaLou said...

Love your 9-patch pizazz! Judy lived in my neck of the woods an age ago. She took classes from me and I took classes from her. she's a sweetie and very creative.

Sarah Craig said...

You've got such lovely finishes this week! Whoop whoop!!