Monday, January 14, 2013

Baby It's Cold Outside!

This morning the thermometer showed -3 degrees!  Guess I'll be staying in for another day and getting some sewing done! 

We did venture out yesterday to have lunch.  The sun was shining but it was deceptive--it was still cold.  The other morning we woke up to this


 and this
DH has the snow cleared now but the street we live on is still snow packed.  I don't dare take my little car out, as it really needs some new tires.  (sigh)  Thank goodness we have a SUV and hubby has offered to take his jeep to the gym so I can take the SUV to the swim center.  Trouble is, it's just so cold that it's hard for me to breathe that cold air and walk from the parking to the center--so I think I'll either wait for it to warm a bit or just skip today!  

Before the storm hit, I made it to Walmart and bought some little baskets for my newest idea on sorting.  I've had my scraps in a plastic drawer with the darker subdued tones toward the front and the brights toward the back.  When it gets full I just make crumb blocks.  But, I'm going to try something a bit different so I began sorting my scraps into colors--I know a little come lately here, but I'm doing it...:)
I found scraps tucked in many places and they look fuller today, so I may start sewing on them today.

What started all this is my quest for yellow and blue for the Sunshine Quilt Group monthly lotto.  The colors for January are blue and yellow.  I found quite a few 6.5 inch squares of some blue alphabet letters that I've had for some time and decided I'd use it up.

Plenty of the brighter blue and yellow 3.5 strips so I just cut those into squares.  

I also had some pale blue and brown fabric left from my youngest grandson's baby quilt (he's now 3) and I decided it was finally time to use up those spare pieces and strips into a quilt.

 I had enough of that to make a small quilt and enough left over to go into a second quilt.  I "stole" four lotto blocks and ended up with another quilt.
 With some creative use of the pieces I was lucky to get the two quilts.  This pictures just don't do justice to them, so I'll quilt them before I post any pictures.  There's lots of free space on these to practice some of my newly learned quilting techniques and I think I'll break free from piecing today and get started on that.  

I've been a bit lax on blogging lately!  It just seems that winter and the flu sucked a lot more out of me than I thought.  For sure, I'm not a snow enthusiast, but be that as it is the snow was badly needed here and I'm just glad we got MIL into a care facility under one roof so that she doesn't have to walk in the snow!

Happy sewing this week!

6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the fabrics, colors, and blocks you are playing with. We have been very mild here, but I think those storms are heading our way some time this week.

Debbie said...

Whoa...I would be staying in and staying warm. Looks like a great play day to me. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Hilachas said...

It's 39 degrees in Texas and I'm whining. I can only imagine the cold where you are! Try to keep warm.

rubyslipperz said...

Yeah...it's about that temp here in Lehi, Utah. We didn't get as much snow, I don't think, as you did. But, the plow/salt trucks rarely ever want come up to the last several hills to our house. We might have to look for ice skates for our tires! =P

Take care =)

annie

The Quilting Elf said...

I love the way the little quilt "grew" with the addition of the lotto blocks. Good luck with the fabric sorting - I seem to change my mind on how to sort about every two years! Guess it keeps me looking into the stash to see what's there...
Kathy T. in Tampa

Helen in the UK said...

I'm staying in and we only had a light sprinkling of snow yesterday - all gone now but COLD!! Looks like you've got lots to keep you busy and I love sorting scraps into colours :)