Monday, January 28, 2013

Repurposed Already!

In its short lifespan of a couple of weeks, I've repurposed this little piece twice.  It started out as a table topper for me to practice my quilting motifs, but then I joined the Doll Quilt Swap and thought after visiting with my partner that this piece would be perfect for her.  Yesterday I worked on the quilting and I just wasn't happy with it.  It had a border and after quilting it, I just whacked it off.

Then I decided that it might make a cute little door hanger thingey for my mother-in-law's door at the Assisted Living place that she lives.  The Christmas swag though beautiful and not in a red/green motif has been up through the month of December and January and it was time for a change.  I finished this little piece this morning.
It sways a little on the borders--my fault for now doing something right--probably trimming after adding a border.  It didn't look so crocked until I quilted it.  It doesn't look as crocked in real life as it does in the photo.  I know that she'll still be pleased and won't see the imperfections. I do wonky quilting better than just structured quilting--I keep trying to make it look computerized and I'm just not that good.  Even with more practice I'm not sure I will.  When I try to do small quilting as in the beige border there is quite a strain on my left eye where I had a detached retina surgery.  So, maybe my quilting will be that--wonky and I should just flow with that.  I am really leaning more to free form quilts and modern quilts where my quilting style lends itself quite well.   With my imperfect quilting and wonky lines, it's done and it's used up some fabric that I really liked--the deep purple with the red birds.  I still have quite a bit of that left and I'll find a use for it I'm sure.

This is my finish for NewFO for January.  ...Now what to do for my partner in the Doll Quilt Swap?...

Linking over to Linky Party Tuesday

7 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Everything has it's purpose - I, too, was not happy with my first attempt at Feb Doll Quilt - so playing with something new today.

Quilting Babcia said...

This little door hanger thingey is really cute! And it could still stand in for a tiny doll's quilt!

Helen in the UK said...

Clever re-purposing - I bet your MIL will love it! The quilting looks great, esp the little border quilting. We are not computers, therefore we will never be able to stitch like a computer ... and to be honest I don't want to!! Embrace your wonkiness and make it your style :)

mycreativecorner3 said...

The quilting looks great. Your quilting is great and no human can replicate nor should they want to replicate a computer. I stick with free motion quilting but I think I am going to try more straight lines this year for fun!

Caryl W said...

Very cute....the quilting is great!

Connie said...

What a beautiful piece and you should be very proud of it! I think sometimes that "we" quilters are too hard on ourselves! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Debbie said...

These look great. Love the new FO for Jan.