Saturday, February 9, 2013

Tumbling Nines Quilt is now Finished

In Autumn 2009 a quilt appeared in McCalls that I thought I could make.  I started making nine patches using 1.5 inch scraps and the quilt soon moved from the FAST Quilts that was the heading of the magazine to the "I'll get to it someday."  Last fall some Laurel Burch fabric was on sale at Stitch N Frame and I ordered some Caribbean blue for the background.  I then started making the blocks and decided I'd cut the quilt down as I'd never get 125 blocks for the one listed in this book.  I didn't know if I liked the fabric with my blocks, but now that it's done, I do.
I used some wonky stars for the quilting





Since I had an abundance of fabric, I used the same fabric on the back
I think that list I made at the first of the month is helping me move through some projects--that and the snow outside. 

Keep warm everyone!

8 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, my mother made one of these with the black background and I loved it! This is so cool with the blue and I love the same with the backing - the star quilting is perfect for it. Wow, you are cleaning out!!

Quilting Babcia said...

I remember seeing this quilt and thinking I'd like to make one someday! May need to put it on a list so I remember it! Sure do have enough scraps for the tiny blocks! Yours is lovely and I like it with the bright blue background! Great job!

Debbie said...

Great job on this....it is so neat and looks like fun. The list has you focused!

Kathy S. said...

Love the background. Congrats on a beautiful finish.

Teresa Nance said...

Congrats on the finish! I don't think I have ever seen that pattern. It is really cool looking.

rubyslipperz said...

How FUN!!! it looks kind a hard...did you think so?

hugZ,
annie

Alycia said...

That;s awesome!!!

cityquilter grace said...

nice finish and i love the blue fabric...perfect!