Thursday, June 13, 2013

Paper Piecing 101

This blog post is really for me.  I have 144 blocks to make and the time it took me to make one, I'm not sure how long it will take me to finish this quilt for a client.  She chose the pattern which is a paper pieced one.  I've been searching for fabrics and found the perfect colors and make a special order with Vicki Welch

This is the first block that is completed correctly and I'm showing the steps in making it and the mistakes I made along the way so that I can open my ipad and follow it and hopefully not make the same mistakes twice!  (or 143 times)
I followed the cutting instructions for the pieces, but on the first one, I didn't use the correct strips for the purple and ended up with the one at the top of the picture.  I'll have to make a quarter circle to cover the part that isn't long enough.

This picture shows how my dyslexia works.  This seems to be a problem, not only for me, but quilters who don't like paper piecing.  I couldn't reverse the process in my brain and I sewed the green piece on the wron side of the purple so that when it folded over it didn't cover the space it was supposed to.

 This is the CORRECT way
Next, cut along the seam line at one quarter inch.  I couldn't find the right tool, but the one I used worked just fine.


Next,sew the fabric for the next background,
Then add the next spike,
Whoops...there's a wrinkle. 
Pick it out, then I tried a bit of washable glue stick...

then re-apply the green straight piece,
Notice that this was a bit short because I'd trimmed it.  Rather than wasting the whole section, I turned it over to sew as you see in the picture above the pattern.

Next add some purple...

and whoops that wasn't up to the top enough, so pick out (AGAIN) and this is how it should look:
Hooray!  Success so far!

Next,

Then get the final side piece attached...
For the top circular piece that pattern called for a template, but in the past I've used wax paper sheets I get at the local quilt store and run the pattern through my printer and then I have a piece that can be place on the corner and thus eliminate cutting the fabric again.  I can then peel the paper off and use it again and again.
Now for the pinning to attach the two pieces

and then press
and...
trim and you have a perfect paper pieced block!

I've gone through the process as I did the second block and it makes sense to me, but if it doesn't make sense to you, let me know what I need to say to clear it up. Thanks, Pattilou

6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes, you need to think upside down and backwards when paper piecing - which I do naturally all the time. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

Debbie said...

The block looks great...but over 100 of them! I would be twisted in knots with that much paper piecing. It drives me crazy, too....I do a little not a lot.
The points are so worth it though in this pattern. I will be cheering you on.

Helen in the UK said...

Good luck Pat! I'm with Debbie, that much PP would drive me nuts :)

PugMom said...

Your colors are stunning. Paper piecing is not for me! I admire your patience.

Pomegranate Quilts said...

I want to paper piece sooo much, but I find the concept dizzying... your photos are awesome, thanks for sharing them! And I love the colours!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Lovely block. Paper piecing is not for me. I end up picking out most of my work. Your quilt will be beautiful when it is done.