Sunday, October 13, 2013

Exchanging Hate for Love

Zi gong (a disciple of Confucius) asked: "Is there any one word that could guide a person throughout life?"
The Master replied: "How about 'shu' [reciprocity]: never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself?"




 Knowing this or at least coming to this understanding, how would I choose "hate"?



 I don't really remember the first time I used or heard the word hate.  I don't know if I used it towards another, or myself or an object.  It seems to me there is lots of hate in the world today and I'm not sure just why.

For me personally I have to take the concept down to its most personal form and learn to change any hate that enters into my realm and change it.  But, that is much easier to say than to do.  I grew up not liking myself or my body which to a young child is the same.  Then grow into a teenager and body image is a huge factor in acceptance of oneself.

The dictionary defines hate this way:

hate

 

 

 

 

[heyt] Show IPA verb, hat·ed, hat·ing, noun
verb (used with object)
1. to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest: to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.
2. to be unwilling; dislike: I hate to do it.
verb (used without object)
3. to feel intense dislike, or extreme aversion or hostility.
noun
4. intense dislike; extreme aversion or hostility.
5. the object of extreme aversion or hostility.
Origin:  before 900; Middle English hat ( i ) en, Old English hatian  (v.); cognate with Dutch haten, Old Norse hata, Gothic hatan, German hassen




If one dislikes oneself then of course one is going to dislike others or maybe choose to like others who gives back to that person some sort of  value. So, with that in mind, what if instead of looking at the opposite of hate as love, let's just for now skip all those ambiguous meanings of love and replace hate with value.

What if for just a moment in each day I could value myself.  I could then give value to another human being knowing that they have just as many hang ups as I do.  They may even have more.  But, if for just one moment I could value them.  My imperfections can then be equal to their imperfections and then we both have some sort of value.  I can then extend that to looking for benefits of each human, myself and then others.

If I practiced valuing myself consciously then extend that outwardly, I could somehow come to an equalization of both beings. That is of course assuming it is just one being that I'm concentrating on.    (Lately concentrating on the political aspect of the United States is another whole round of concentration in trying to give them value).  insert smiley face here!  :)

Anyhow, just for today, I will concentrate on returning value for value.  Valuing myself is an important part of giving value to others.  Maintaining balance today in just giving value to others and to myself...

1 comment:

jansmusingagain said...

Hate - Late - Lave - Live - Love

Interesting post.