Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Going in Different Directions!

Finished the binding on a couple of quilts.  This one has been in the UFO stack since last July.  I tried making a modern type quilt using the ABC's I'd been given.  The "X" was missing so I made one from the "!"  I did post about this quilt earlier last summer and I can't find the post where I gave Helen credit for my idea for this one.  Graciously she reminded me about it in the comments.  Here's her link again, it is an adorable quilt:  Helen's Blog


This quilt came from many quilts through the years.  I made some blocks and tried to figure out how to line up the few I had.  I had the perfect fabric to use as a background and then found the solid in my stash to outline them.  This one holds lots of memories and will be hard to part with.  I'm not sure where it'll go--probably Project Linus.
The thread bobbins I got have presented some new tension issues and I'm still working it out with some other threads for the top.  I found that if I use a bit heavier thread in the top, it works better.  It's so frustrating to have so many colors of Isacord and then not be able to use that with the new bobbin thread.  But, I think I've found a solution.  I've still got that one on the quilting machine.

I didn't realize how similar the quilts were until I pulled out the red one to start quilting.  Guess it was an idea that I liked!

Made some blocks yesterday for this new to me challenge: 350 Blocks Challenge
Also Linking over to Whoop Whoop Friday

4 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great finishes - hoping all your issues with the new machine soon get resolved.

Helen in the UK said...

Love the red one, reminds me of my alphabet I spy: http://helenquilts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/alphabet-i-spy-finished.html

Hope your new machine is 'playing nicely' now :)

knitnkwilt said...

I'm thinkin' it is a lot easier to use real letters than to find prints of items that start with the letters as Helen did! I'd have to make a fabric pile and add as I found--and remember what the pile was intended to become. LOL

But I like both ideas and I like both your quilts. And can imagine a happy child recipient.

Pattilou said...

I think I got those alphabet prints from a trade or an exchange of some sort. I wish I could remember, but I think those prints are as cute as can be!