Friday, March 7, 2014

I'm NOT Liking my Learning Curve!

I've been a bit discouraged.  I've still got mountains (well, not really that big) of blocks that I'm not sure how well they go together as I won them in a lotto.  I've got some of them assembled and I've practiced on my new Baby Tiara and boy is there a learning curve there!

I put this little donation quilt together and just did meander quilting so that I could get a feel for the machine.
I don't even know if anyone would want it if I give it away.  I'm really in a funk!
I watched videos yesterday, trying to get the tension right when I changed the needle and the thread.

I thought I had the tension right on this one, but when I did some curves I got a few "eyelashes" on the back, now---do I give it away and hope for the best or do I just ditch it???  Good question.  Any answers?

A close up of on of the blocks that I did a little more quilting.
There's some hesitation in the machine between my foot releasing and the start up.  It sometimes causes a bit of a jerk in my quilting.  The funky loops look okay on some quilts--the more primitive looking ones, but on this one I was quite disappointed.  I need more thread, but I'm a little short of cash right now, so it may have to wait.  I think I finally got the threader figured out, so I'm going to venture into using some of my older threads and see how they work.


This is the third quilt I did on my new machine.  I just got it bound last night.  It is a quilt that goes with my wonky quilting.






I've got a little quilt sandwiched that I'm going to experiment on next.


5 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

The very first quilt that I did on a friend's long arm fad horrible eyelashes because I went waay too fast. When I got my a Sweet 16 I decided to lighten up on myself. I do baby quilt panels and child quilts at the moment. I do not worry about fancy quilting for now and just stick to loops and meanders. The fancy part will come in time. When I first got Babe I for the life of me could not get the tension set right. Then I found Jamie Waller on YouTube. Look for the quilter's apothecary. He has this one video for setting bobbin tension that is wonderful. Then I turned the tension dial on my machine all the way to the left and worked my way to correct tension. Remember, that the tension on these machines take a larger movement to see a result than the tension on a DSM. Oh, and that first quilt with the eyelashes? I washed it and donated it. Good luck.

Kate said...

Well, my dear I am glad you have the same learning curve as the rest of us!!! Had the same issues when I got my APQS George. I would leave your bobbin alone for the moment, but turn your top tension WAY loose, and then gradually move it up til you find the right place. The learn to slow down on the curves!!! That helps a lot... for now, I recommend mostly wide turns, not sharp ones. You'll get this! good luck. Kathleen

knitnkwilt said...

I had major curve issues on the DSM and it took a long time to register the subtle shift in speed as I went around them. As to the eyelashes...my theory is that an imperfect quilt still keeps kids and needy adults warm.

Helen in the UK said...

Please don't lose heart! From your other comments it seems there really is a BIG learning curve swapping to this sort of machine for quilting.

Your first quilt will, I'm sure be loved by a child. They will see different things in it .... they might pick it because it has cars on it .... or because it has quite a bit of yellow .... or many other reasons that you as it's dissatisfied creator don't see right now.

Deep breath, accept imperfection and quilt on :)

Pattilou F said...

Thanks for the helpful comments!