Friday, May 16, 2014

Bloggers Quilt Festival Spring 2014

It's time once again for the Bloggers Quilt Festival and I've added my quilt in the ROYGBIV Category  Follow the link at the right side bar for the full quilt festival.  There is a lot of fun and beautiful quilts to see there!

More than a year ago, I started a quilt that proved to be quite a project!
While staying with my sister, one of her friends came by and I met her.  She asked if I would be willing to do a Rainbow Quilt for her.  The project took on many dimensions.  As we poured over ideas for the quilt, she settled on a pattern.  She chose Island Sunrise from Judy Niemeyer.

Here is a shot of the finished quilt and then I'll tell its story.


I proceeded to purchase the fabric  The main fabric came from Vicki Welsh  The hand dyed fabrics she offered were just what I knew my customer would want.  I chose the Color Wheel basics and made a special request for larger pieces than she had on the website.  I made the first order and began my project.

This was the first of 144 paper pieced blocks.

Many more followed:

Midway through, I found another type of paper I liked better than what I had been using.
Strips were cut to pattern specifications.
Resulting in more parts.


The first set I photographed.

Then more.



I didn't draw out how the blocks would be arranged.  I knew myself well enough to know that would drive me nuts.  So, I sewed and placed and started with a center block that was different in each quarter of the quilt.  The quarters each have a more dominant color, but they seemed to all work together quite well. 

Around Christmas time, I was trying to get the whole top to come together and laying it out on my living room floor was a bigger project than I expected. The deep purple was fabric from Copper Mountain Quilting
 


Those two orange blocks were somehow shifted around so that they didn't come together.  I don't know how I did it, but it took the better part of a day to get the subsets turned, matched, and then sewn with a narrow one inch strip of deep purple.  The addition of the deep purple sashing and the piano key border of all the colors used.


The finished look of the corners.

Now, ready for the backing.
 
 
 
I was able to procure the quilting services of Nancy Haacke of Layton, UT who owns Digitized Quilting .  Her business is mainly making digitized programs for quilters, but she agree to quilt this quilt for me.
 



Binding the quilt
Pillowcases to match

Shots of completed quilt.


 

It is now in the hands of the new owner.  I must say, having never done a project of such a size and mental as well as physical commitment, it was like sending a child off to college.  I cried when I first saw the work that Nancy had done, and I cried again when the box left for Georgia!  I don't have a picture of the backing, I sent the quilt off without taking one and the shams that I made the picture didn't turn out right.  Taking pictures of this large quilt was a bit problematic, but I think there are enough that you can view the quilt!

Thanks for stopping by!
                             Quilt Size 110 x 110"





12 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I so enjoyed watching this quilt evolve and find it just a super quilt! Love the fabrics and colors and the setting.

Sally Hurley said...

Fabulous!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This is something much more intricate than I could take on...I'd lose every point, lol...so i can truly appreciate the talent and time that went into it. What I like is that in some of the shots the pattern almost comes alive and seems to be moving ! It is just a stunning quilt altogether. And pillowcases to match! Icing on the cake. Love the post and the quilt :)

thequiltingdoberman said...

Goodness! The corners were exceptionally satisfying. See you deal with binding on a the kitchen counter reminded me that several of us make do with very little space. :)

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a beautiful bright and HUGE quilt!! Just amazing. I bet the owner cried when she received it.

knitnkwilt said...

I like that I couldn't see it as four quadrants till you mentioned designing that way--overall unified look. Love the colors.

Annabella said...

What a big bold and beautiful quilt - your friend must be so happy!!

CitricSugar said...

You did a beautiful job - it's gorgeous! And bright. :-)

Catherine said...

That is an amazing quilt and such an achievement:-)

quilthexle said...

Oh this is such a fantastic quilt - and doing all these paper piecing blogs sure was a lot of work ! Your customer must be over the moon ;-)

M-R Charbonneau said...

That is gorgeous! What a beautiful quilt, which is sure to be loved and treasured for a long time. Great job!

Wendy said...

oh wow! No wonder you cried when you sent it off. It's beautiful!