Thursday, May 29, 2014

May Finishes

With a great sense of WHEW two quilts were finished yesterday.  One went in a box to my sis for her wall.

 It finished out to where I actually quite liked it.  I did take some quilting out around the head and added more swirls and that made a lot of difference to me.


 I used two pieces of batting for a rather faux Trapunto in the feathers.



I quilted everything else down quite tightly.

Sis doesn't care if I try doing the next one exactly the same, which allowed me to get this off to her.  She's had a rather bad week or two and this may cheer her a bit.  I'm going to try the next one with quilting in the background from black thread.  Now, I just need to order some...

Link over to New FO Challenge for other finishes

I finished these two quilts in time to take to a Project Linus luncheon.

I used Glide thread on the upper one and just loved it.  I had heard many talk about it and the magnetic prewound bobbins last for such a long time.  I love the sheen the polyester provides.  While at the HMQS recently in SLC, I purchased a pre-made package they had which was two tones of gold and an off white.  Seeing the samples quilted with gold on the white fabric allowed me to see that thread doesn't always need to match and the gold on white is actually very beautiful!

The quilting was done using a stencil and I followed the lines pretty well.

The luncheon I attended yesterday is a yearly event.  It's always fun to hear of the stories the nurses tell about how well the quilts are received.  We make them and send them on and hope that they touch someone's life.  Well, they certainly do for many.  There is also a group that meets at a Catholic Church near here that sews bereavement dresses and little quilts.  Oh, my there wasn't a dry eye as the nurse told some of those stories.  That would be so hard to have to prepare such a tiny infant for burial. 

The two hours spend there helped me recommit for more donation quilts.  I still have lots of fabric and I'll keep making them until it's gone--and then I'll probably just buy more fabric!  :)

Here's a pic of the quilts I dropped of yesterday.


Linking over to A Lovely Year of Finishes since I did reach my goal of the peacock quilt being finished!
81 Blocks finished this month, not necessarily blogged about.

8 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The Peacock quilt came out lovely. Our guild doesn't get to meet or hear about where our donated quilts go. We do know they are hand delivered and get a list of how many went to each group for accounting - not sure I could handle the stories.

Quilting Babcia said...

I love how the peacock quilt turned out! Your quilting is fabulous; I'm sure your sister will love it.

Helen in the UK said...

Your peacock quilt turned out beautifully.

I've made some bereavement gowns for babies in the past - really heart-rending if you think about it too much. Quilts are nicer for the maker, but I'm sure all items are appreciated by those in need.

Barbara said...

Wow...fabulous quilting on your peacock project.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

The peacock quilt is gorgeous! The quilting on it is lovely.

Cath said...

love that peacock!

Junebug613 said...

Wow! That peacock is amazing! What a wonderful way to share your beautiful work, making it all the more enjoyable! What a generous thing to do!

Muv said...

Hello Pattilou,
Such beautiful colours on the peacock quilt - so vibrant! Wonderful quilting too.
So nice for you to hear about the work done by the charity you donate to, and you have donated really pretty quilts.
I have started a new link up on my blog - Free Motion Mavericks. It would be great to see you there!
Love, Muv