Saturday, October 25, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival Modern Quilt Entry

I decided that I would add this quilt, just because I had so much FUN with it.  It started as a project in my head and then progressed into a fun Quilt.  You can see the link on the right to the Blogger's Quilt Festival and then there is a link at the bottom to the Modern Quilt Section.
 

This may not look like much, but it's been cooking up in my mind.   I returned to making fabric--by that I mean making a new piece of fabric from all the little ends and pieces cut off that could have been thrown away.  I started making little pieces from the bright Rainbow quilt I've blogged so much about.  I had them stored in a little drawer.  I just wanted to mindless sew.

 I found a lovely yard of linen in a scrap bag I purchased for only $10 and voila~an idea was formed in my mind.  So, I sewed a strip into that linen.

I got an idea from Sarah over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Now I get to sandwich it and start a process of quilting the heck out of it!
After looking at many modern quilts, I decided to go organic.  I started the strip in just sorta straight lines--moderns call them ORGANIC!

The very bottom I decided to just try some thread doodling.  I'm not using any pattern, just playing and getting in sync with my machine.
the back side

Pretty much this is my first try at quilting on the thought of "I wonder how this would look..."

I started at the colored strip with the organic "straight" lines.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to do my version of free motion quilting everywhere.  I tried it on the bottom and then wondered if straight lines would work on the top.  As I was doing the lines I wondered what would happen if I turned them.  So I added a diagonal.  I then wondered how it would be if I added some circles.  It was totally fun to do.  I had a blast.  I learned a lot.  This piece is totally for me!

 





Since it is quilted onto linen, I'm going to now wash it and see how that works.  I had some stretching as I quilted it and as I trimmed it the stitching seem to spring away from the end, so I stay stitched it before I added the border.  I think I would measure the end piece and mark it, stay stitch it and then cut next time--not knowing right now if that could work.  I would also occasionally mark a line to follow as it did seem to shift a bit as I worked down the quilt.  For an experimental piece, I'm still pretty happy with it.  I have that table cloth of mother in law that I still want to quilt, but I need lots of practice before I shift to an heirloom!

After washing--I like it so much better!
 

 


 

6 comments:

QuiltCandy said...

Oh wow this is so beautiful! I love the improv piecing, the organic (lol!) quilting and the doodling, it's just wonderful. A gorgeous quilt.

Kaja said...

I love your rainbow bright strip and setting it in the plain linen is very effective. It is really interesting to read how you set about the quilting - sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Gina Koston said...

AMAZING! I just love this quilt!

Marie said...

Too Cool! Love everything about it from the "scrap" drawer to the organic doodling. Job well done

Vera said...

Cool quilting. It adds so much texture and interest.

LynCC said...

Isn't it amazing how a little idea can morph into a really great quilt?! This is fantastic - the movement in the quilting is highly successful. Peaceful and interesting at the same time. :D