Saturday, October 25, 2014

Small Quilt Entry in Blogger's Quilt Festival


 My entry into the Blogger's Quilt Festival  (see link at the right) isn't entirely unique, it's just a big accomplishment for me.  I purchased a table model quilting machine in February and I've been learning a lot.  This quilt represents quite an accomplishment for me as a home quilter.  I chose a quilt pattern that would give me plenty of practice.  With that said, here is my small quilt entry.


I started it back in June and posted this about it then.


I also just played in some color with a fun pattern Found HERE
I used a recent purchase from Vicki Welch Found HERE  I had some Redwood and some other solids from her in my stash.  I love it! (It needs the final border, but I got the brainwork done!)  The quilting will be sooo much fun!


Now that center looks like this:


I tried a form of Pattilou's McTavish:


The balance of the quilt was quilted in tight straight lines and the bright yellow border was done in a tight meander style.

I dyed the yellow border to match the yellow in the middle.  It's a few shades lighter, but it worked.  I had some sheeting from a couple of years ago and I was able to use it up.  A 60" square quilt took more fabric than I figured.  I tried other fabrics for the final border, but the dyed fabric just kept with the style better than what I had first planned.  Just the yellow border took a couple of days to quilt.  I'm glad it's finished and I love it!  I needed the sunshine!
 Linking over to the Blogger's Quilt Festival small quilt's Here

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow....you put miles of thread to use. It is the only way to get there, too. Great job and love your Mctavish style!

Vicki W said...

I think your yellow border is perfect! I think anything darker would be overwhelming. It's a winner!

Kathleen C said...

It's wonderful! I love the colors, the placement of the fabrics and your machine quilting.

Leanne said...

Your version of my pattern is spectacular. I love the quilting and your choices of colours. I love that outside border in yellow, it is perfect!

Aoife said...

I really love the colours you've used. In the first picture, I really like the inks, purples and oranges that come together in the top left corner! The quilting must have taken a lot of time, but worth it for the awesome texture you got!

SarahZ said...

Sunshine indeed! This is wonderful! Simple and so bold!!